COMFORTABLE Base layer for legs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DANTE10

Aug 9, 2017
Edinburgh
Not sure if i’m overly fussy or just weird, but i really struggle to find comfy long john or ‘leggings’. The long johns seem to bunch up, and the modern tight legging ones are just too tight i find (i’m not chunky either)
So far the only comfy thing i can find to put on under trousers is pyjama bottoms (poly cotton and soft touch) they are loose also so it seems to trap the warm air better than the tighter base layers.
Has anyone else tried pyjama bottoms under there outer trousers??
Or anyone had my experience with base layers and have you found a comfy pair?

DANTE10

Aug 9, 2017
Edinburgh
Interesting, so you go for no base layer and just the insulated trousers. Personally i prefer a light trousers with something underneath, but i guess everyone has there own little technique.

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
I have a few base layers and mids from sub zero clothing, they are a UK manufacturer and do a wide range of base layers. Also worth checking out there clearance section! I have a pair of the no seam base layers that I wear under combats when out shooting in the winter, just need to hunt them down as I haven't seen them since moving. They do a range of fabrics including merino. I really rate their stuff especially the tops which have an excellent long back on them.

https://www.subzerostore.co.uk/

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I use Ron hill tracksters, they seem to the job well just to take the edge off without overheating. I use them when riding my motorbike in colder conditions under kevlar jeans and if raining DPM goretex trousers on top of that.

I also have a pair of woolpower (ulfrotte) 200 long johns which i haven't found the need to use yet, but they are very comfortable.

https://woolpower.se/en/shop/?filters=product_cat[55]

For comfort look at merino and silk too.

Also paramo do some good quality clothing in man made fabrics

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-...0A577F6E,DA550C21-C9D5-47DC-8625-DD38E45AD709

DANTE10

Aug 9, 2017
Edinburgh
I have another query regarding these tighter modern leggings.....are you meant to wear underwear with them...i.e boxers??

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have a variety of thermal underwear, from M&S ones, and some micro fleece, all very good and do the job. I have a set of white ones for wearing under my Toy Soldier costume, when helping Santa on his sleigh at Christmas.
I also have the lined Craghopper trousers and I tend to use those nowadays, not as restrictive and quicker drying then trousers and thermals.
If I’m going to be standing around then thermals and ski trousers, but if moving about then lined trousers for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DANTE10

Aug 9, 2017
Edinburgh
I have a variety of thermal underwear, from M&S ones, and some micro fleece, all very good and do the job. I have a set of white ones for wearing under my Toy Soldier costume, when helping Santa on his sleigh at Christmas.
I also have the lined Craghopper trousers and I tend to use those nowadays, not as restrictive and quicker drying then trousers and thermals.
If I’m going to be standing around then thermals and ski trousers, but if moving about then lined trousers for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
do you wear normal boxers under the thermals, or just the thermals?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ladies tights work well..........so i'm told

I picked up some Merino tight leggings from Lidl a couple of years ago. Bloody uncomfortable, pull all your leg hairs the wrong way, the waist section need pulling up almost to the chest for the crotch to be where it should be, and they wriggle down in use.

Im following this thread in the hope of finding something a bit more baggy that sits right. My cold weather trousers are Craghopper Kiwis, but the pocket arrangement is rubbish so I'd like an under layer for the usual 5.11 Tacs.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
+1 And no problem in the Gender neutral world in which we live!

K

That's right, we can stand proud in ladies tights. In honesty, I reckon the ladies have it sussed regards leggings etc. I'm looking for a looser fit that stays up and comfortable.

DANTE10

Aug 9, 2017
Edinburgh
I picked up some Merino tight leggings from Lidl a couple of years ago. Bloody uncomfortable, pull all your leg hairs the wrong way, the waist section need pulling up almost to the chest for the crotch to be where it should be, and they wriggle down in use.

Im following this thread in the hope of finding something a bit more baggy that sits right. My cold weather trousers are Craghopper Kiwis, but the pocket arrangement is rubbish so I'd like an under layer for the usual 5.11 Tacs.

If you are like me and don’t like the tight type, give a pair of pyjama bottoms (polyester or poly cotton) a go, they sit fine around the crotch and have no restrictions as they are baggy

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I thought I should be wearing thermals in the bottom half years back so put some long johns on for a hike - over heated so much it was ridiculous! Never looked back - no more thermals for the bottom half! Maybe it's because my legs are so hairy!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE