Comfort food choice for snow/icey weather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Just had 2 days of Stovies, sheer Ayrshire comfort food.
Cooking away in the slow cooker at low all day, stewing into excellence and ready when you want it.

Recipe;

Slice sausage, aberdeen angus beef sausages and black pudding, salt ,pepper, lee perrins.

Tatties mixed sizes, turnip, carrots, parsnip, onions and mushrooms.

Stew the ingredients and then chuck in oxo cubes.
If it gets to thick I like to add a wee drop of beer or stout to thin it.

Give Stovies a wee go
cheers
Phil

Cooper90

Just got my fave on the go

Duck and Pheasant stew.

2 duck breasts and 2 pheasant breasts cube then coat in flour. Colour them in a hot pan then add them to a pot with 1/4 cup pearl barley, 1/4 cup harricot beans,1 onion,1 turnip, 1/2 swede, 2 carrots, 1 large potato.
Put 1/2 pint home made cider in the pan you cooked the birds in and get all the juices out of the pand and add to the stew top up with water and 2 oxo cubes.
Cook on a slow heat for as long as you can i will do mine through the night, when its nice and thick bowl it up...
Serve with herby dumplings if your starving...

Just had a nice big home made fish pie. Smoked haddock, cod, salmon and prawns. Couple of sliced boiled eggs in there and some spinach. Lots of steaming mash as the topping. Snow still coming down, log fire burning in the grate, and maybe a Laphroaig or Stones ginger wine later.
Could life be more cosy?

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Gill, I used to work with a fireman at killie called Scunner Campbell who used to make killie mince ,it was mince and haggis mixed with pepper and brown sauce. You actually need to try it, its gid.

Phil

Last edited:

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
sounds as if i could handle that.wiz the guy that made it fae the bunnet toon by any chance.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Oxtail stewed in red wine with root veg and herbs, going to cook some dumplings in it tonight and serve with carrot and swede mashed with butter and black pepper. Roast potatoes. Red wine.
That ought to comfort us.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Did this one the other day, cheshire gammon joint, lean.
boiled for 45 then placed in a roasting tin.
smothered in marmalade then liberally sprinkled with brown sugar.
put some water in the bottom of the pan and add some more sugar and marmalade.
cook in the oven for 45 mins and baste regularly.

serve with boiled spuds and fresh cabbage with as much butter as you like ;)
damn i'm hungry now.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Yer can't whack a good hot and sour soup before a main meal, loads of sea food innit, Tom Yam paste, water chestnuts, straw mushies, noodles, bamboo shoots and chillies, gets to yer toes and warms yer for hours on end. ;)

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I prefer a vat of thick, hot stew/soup. I roast a couple of those 99p turkey drumsticks you get in most supermarkets but I wrap them in rashers of bacon. Then I boil up spuds, swede, carrots, mushrooms, leek, onions and lentils in stock with herbs and ground black pepper. While it's heating I strip all the meat off the bone, roughly chop it and throw it in with the veg. I usually make enough for a few days, the second day I just add dumplings to make it a bit different. Serve with chunks of a good strong cheese and crusty bread. Lovely on a cold night!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
That sounds good Andy.

Yesterday was Fridge Scrap stew for me, bendy carrots, shriveled half neep, wrinkly sprouts etc all boiled up with lentils and plenty of herbs an spices. serve with oatcakes.

I usually like lamb too, but over the first few day days of the week I hate about a pound of duck confit as Cassoulet. That much meat just aint good for yer constitution.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE