Coffee Stirrer Sulphur Matches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I had another bash at making sulphur matches. The last time I tried this a change in the wind resulted in me gassing myself. This time I wasn't taking any chances.

2017-03-20%2012.34.13.jpg

Needless to say it resulted in some odd looks from the neighbours. I think they thought there was some backyard Breaking Bad style action going on :lmao:

2017-03-20%2015.30.49.jpg

The matches are made of coffee stirrers (1000 for a £5 on Amazon) cut in half and sharpened to a point. The sulphur (200g for £4 on Amazon) melts quite easily. You can tell it is getting too hot when it starts to turn gelatinous. At the ideal temperature it is liquid.

And yes, they do work. I lit one off some smouldering Amadou very easily.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao:

Yeah, neighbours; they do rather wonder just what I'm up to now :eek: sounds like yours are the same :D

Nice one on the spills though :D
I have the amadou, the sulphur, the spills….just haven't quite convinced HWMBLT that it's a good idea :rolleyes:…I'm missing the gas mask.

M

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
>>This<< is my mask. I bought it mostly for making the matches,so it's not at all cost effective, but I'm sure I'll find some other uses for it.

Hiking in a volcano perhaps? :confused:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very nice work on the matches. What was the next historical step in the development of matches?

Your mask. Don't blink. I'd consider that an investment.
The mask cuts the distractions from the fumes so that you can focus, mentally, on the real task at hand.
Time will give you chances to use it many times. Just be certain that you have the correct cartridges for it.

I have some power tools spinning 20K-30k rpm. With excellent hearing protection, I'm not distracted.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Looks good and loving the gas mask:). McDonalds etc do nice wooden stirrers too.....and the drive throughs always have the same paper silver birch trees planted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE