Classic knives made in Mora, Sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
i have noticed that Military Mart has some vintage style Mora knives at a decent price!
Both with the red painted birch handle and with the clear laquered birch handle.

If you want a true bushcraft knife of a classic design and quality here is your chance!

Manufactured by E. Jönsson

No affiliation etc.

Reactions: Hbc and Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That are very light knifes.
Perfect for hiking, bushcraft, cutting bread, eating, cooking.
Very sharp they are, if you look after them.

I used them very long (in a handmade leather sheath ) and changed then to Opinel Carbone No8, because that is lighter and very similar.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
One of the benefits with these oldfashioned handles compared with Morakniv’s modern plastic ones are that they are nicer in the hand. I have never gotten a blister with these, but plenty of blisters with the plastic.

Every retro bushcrafter deserves one of these!

I do not own that particular model of the Frenchie knife, mine is a little bit smaller, but I prefer the stability of a non foldable knife. I do carry it or another folder as a back up though.

Superb stuff!

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Both knives are useful in the kitchen.
(There the opinel is better.)

The modern handles disturb me when I am cooking.

Usually we get plastic instead of old materials,because it is easier to produce.
Most times the old stuff was better.

The Opinel should not been bought to small.
If you use it as main knife the No8 is nice for men, No7 for Women, No6 for children.

If a man with glove size 10 uses a No7 there is a risk to cut himself (a bit) in the finger, because the handle changes directly in the sharp blade. There isn't any gab, no signal says "stop here"!

Experienced people can use the 7 too. But I recommend for beginners the No8. The size of the blade of the No8 I find better too.

The 7 fits better in the pocket. That's a nice "just in case knife" for people who use it once a day 3 for Minutes.

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Wooden handles are to my mind more comfortable and ecco friendly . What's not to like? I'm slowly getting rid of as much plastic and synthetic gear as possible. Not easy as plastic is in everything nowadays. Whoops! My ecco warrior side is showing again, but it's worth a thought.

Reactions: Erbswurst

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Beat it with a hammer and it will crack, at least on the cheaper variants, but the tang is pretty short and a blade with full tang meant to handle youself is cheap so I wouldn't bother.

Yeah you are better off buying a new blank blade if you want make a knife.

I have made knives from the blades of broken handled knives

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The length of the short tang is sufficient in a wood handle.
More places sell Morakniv knifes than Morakniv blades only in UK I assume? Builders supplies shops, do they sell them?
In Scandinavia you can get the knives everywhere. Petrol stations. Many supermarkets.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes. It has been planned for a couple of decades now. They have developed tech and procedures to move houses much cheaper than build new, so most 'suitable' houses will be moved.
Some older structures will be torn down, and rebuilt using the latest techniques. those houses can be heated with incredibly little energy.

There are no reindeer herders in that area anyway, so I fail to see why they are upset.
I spent some time in the regiment there, I22, as it was a sister regiment to mine ( K4) and they complained already then.......
I got a complained on me personally once..

When I had to shoot a reindeer for food, they got paid something like 5x the commercial value....

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The interesting part with the Kiruna area/mine is that the vast majority of people understand the importance of a well run, profitable mining operation. As far as I am aware there are no tree huggers trying to stop the expansion of the operation plus move of the town.

It is done incredibly well and considerating nature and everything but still there will be some destruction of nature.

The sole reason for the existence of Kiruna, several communities nearby, the railroad and much more in that are is the mine. People know that.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE