Chefs knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bionic

Forager
Mar 21, 2018
Bomber county
Not even slightly bushcrafty but I thought I’d share it anyway. I’ve just finished making this medium sized chefs knife (6 inch cutting edge). It’s my first attempt at this style of knife and it’s destined to become a birthday present for my father in law who likes his cooking. The blade is O1 steel thinned down to roughly 2.5mm and I’ve forced a patina on it in the hopes of providing a little bit of corrosion resistance (the prospective owner isn’t too hot on tool care :O_O:). I’ve given it a convex edge which wouldn’t be my personal choice in the kitchen but hopefully will give it a more durable edge. The handle is yew with an olive wood bolster and brass pins for added security.
Thanks for looking :)

821D08F7-1A94-4D2B-8FDA-A8DE4D362590.jpeg 51854594-981C-4383-BEDE-ABD07A8CCF69.jpeg DC7B12F1-14A7-4573-96F2-027FEBD42481.jpeg AF0088B5-C0CE-48EB-9EAD-A6BC47088619.jpeg F75C8AE6-DADB-42B2-B921-5A56E27F3AA9.jpeg 0BDF8297-E226-4582-B092-A3967F7011CB.jpeg

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Santoku/ Deba hybrid?
It looks fantastic, but if I may be critical, the angle of the handle/ handle design is maybe not the optimal.
The fingers close to the end of the handle can get trapped between the handle and cutting board.

The cutting board is fabulos too!

Bionic

Forager
Mar 21, 2018
Bomber county
Santoku/ Deba hybrid?
It looks fantastic, but if I may be critical, the angle of the handle/ handle design is maybe not the optimal.
The fingers close to the end of the handle can get trapped between the handle and cutting board.

The cutting board is fabulos too!

If I’m honest that was one thing I wasn’t completely happy with so I know where you’re coming from. Unfortunately by the time I realised I didn’t have enough time to rectify it. The chopping board was a fiver from the car boot, I’d love to be able to say I had a hand in it but it was just a lucky score :)
As far as the knifes concerned I’m starting to wish I hadn’t bothered. The old b***ger half unwrapped it, didn’t even look at/see the blade, said ok thanks and chucked it in the corner :banghead: It’s a probably as well I made it as much for my own enjoyment as anything else :O_O:

Reactions: oldtimer

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Think this way: next time you will make a couple of kitchen knives for somebody that knows how much effort went into the making, and will fully appreciate it: yourself!

Plus you can then fine tune the shape.

I think you hit it spot on with the blade.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
If I’m honest that was one thing I wasn’t completely happy with so I know where you’re coming from. Unfortunately by the time I realised I didn’t have enough time to rectify it. The chopping board was a fiver from the car boot, I’d love to be able to say I had a hand in it but it was just a lucky score :)
As far as the knifes concerned I’m starting to wish I hadn’t bothered. The old b***ger half unwrapped it, didn’t even look at/see the blade, said ok thanks and chucked it in the corner :banghead: It’s a probably as well I made it as much for my own enjoyment as anything else :O_O:

Pearls before swine.

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE