Cheap and cheerful waxed cotton overtrousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Hi All,

Looking for some advice on cheap and cheerful alternatives to the gucci Fjallraven etc. waterproof trousers for working outdoors in.

Whatever I choose will have a hard and probably short life so rather than go for waterproof trousers, waterproof overtrousers look like a better option. I don’t want to trash my half decent Goretex over trousers and am looking for an alternative to the usual heavy duty “boil in a bag” type leggings.

There seem to be quite a few cheap and cheerful waxed cotton offerings out there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IJC55B0/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2FQCKS5SQN8I3&colid=NKV3L8PE1PQ2&psc=1

Anyone got any experience of these or similar - not expecting them to be very breatheable but hopefully a bit more comfortable and at least as hard wearing as heavy pvc type over trousers.

Any thoughts gratefully received. :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Give wax chaps a thought mate. Fairly waterproof, tough as old boots, thornproof, decently breathable given their bottom'less nature lol the lined ones don't sweat as much, good range of movement too

Seriously they were essential kit when i was keepering

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Give wax chaps a thought mate. Fairly waterproof, tough as old boots, thornproof, decently breathable given their bottom'less nature lol the lined ones don't sweat as much, good range of movement too

Seriously they were essential kit when i was keepering

I’ll take a look - and maybe unleash my inner Village Person! ;)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you can find a ship's chandler, look at the clothing used by people doing commercial fishing.
We were issued what must have been neoprene impregnated cloth of some sort.
Bib-fronts with suspenders, a coat with buckles and a sou'wester hat. 6 days a week for 5 months.
Nobody complained and nothing wore out.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I get shot down in flames everytime i mention wax chaps on here Lmao

To be clear....i did mean for you to wear trousers underneath :biggrin:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I get shot down in flames everytime i mention wax chaps on here Lmao

To be clear....i did mean for you to wear trousers underneath :biggrin:

Still not made a decision on this, I want to try them on (with trousers underneath) before I buy!

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
A bit of an update on my quest for some bramble proof waterproofs.

The past winter was cold enough to wear chainsaw trousers in comfort and the summer was dry enough for wellies and waterproofs to be left collecting dust for several months.

Now that normal Welsh weather has been resumed, the search goes on. I was waiting to buy a pair at the summer agricultural show but the dealer who sells them online wasn’t there and in the meantime I splashed some cash on these Austrian army surplus bib & brace goretex waterproofs from Surplus & Outdoors.

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/...as-new-genuine-issue-olive-green-1004102.html

Really impressed, as new and a good fit, the side zips make getting in over wellies easy and very breatheable- I spent most of the day knocking in fence posts in on and off drizzle and despite working up quite a sweat, stayed nice and dry. I can see myself living in these for the next few months.

Not expecting them to be super thorn proof so may look out for some waxed cotton ones at the winter show.

J :)

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Picked up some as new Mascot of Clacton waxed overtrousers from the Bay of E for £17 delivered. Not the most flattering look but great quality and will get loads of use. :)

Hodge

Nomad
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
Have a look on eBay for Campbell Cooper over trousers, made in the UK, IIRC they're £20?
I have a Campbell Cooper wax jacket that I use on the trike and it has worn well with regular proofing. It is of good quality and a fraction of the cost of Barbour and Belstaff.

Reactions: Nomad64

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE