Car fix costs advice (trade costs)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There are some very knowledgeable people about cars on here so I'll ask here (not on car fora to ask this).

Anyone got an idea of budget price to b get both rear brake calipers, pads and disc changed at a back street garage in the UK? I've had a £450 bill. Feels a rip off to me.

Online price for two sets of calipers, pads and disc cost £110 (or £131 if that price was ex vat). Industry average hourly rate is £74 and assume 2.5 hours top labour time. The total parts and labour come out at about £140 less than the above calculation.

If I've missed tax at 20% then this brings it down to £70-80 overcharge.

So does £380 or £460 sound right?

Car is a seat Altea xl (similar to golf plus).

I am no mechanic so can't do it myself. I don't want to neither but garages all come across as overcharging and they're not subtle in talking down to you neither. So am I being ripped off at £460? Should I be avoiding this garage in the future? They used to be reasonable but are now very busy. Victim of their own success so perhaps not bothered by losing our custom. Charge is over the odds, if we pay great, if we don't come back who cares they'll just keep their taxi and farmer business.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Are you comparing like for like parts? Some makes of parts are more expensive than others.

Have you also factored in brake fluid and a bleed?

At the end of the day, if they are busy then I would have thought they can charge what they want as long as they tell you first.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We still used them but it's whether we're paying a premium for the other factors in their favour and if that's excessive.

The prices I got were from the first online parts suppliers using their search facility for our car model. Obviously the garage could be using OEM spec parts and the online site aftermarket quality.

I factored in a lot of rounding up and percentage extra too in order to give the benefit of the doubt on the quality of the parts. Plus I used the national average which I've since found out was 40% higher than their hourly rate apparently.

At the end of the day if it's a reasonable price for a back street garage to replace the back brakes then fair enough. I don't want to prove they're ripping us off at all, if someone told me they paid £560 for two brakes for an equivalent quality car then I happy. It'll mean a convenient garage is probably not overcharging.

We'll probably still use them because they're easy to use. My partner drops the car off and I get to pick it up (and pay up). They generally get stuff done same day. Easy enough to deal with. The only issue is possibly down to their communication skills. They don't have good skills and it comes across as they are not telling you the truth. Plus at times they talk down to you as if you know nothing. I have picked up a lot about the workings of the internal combustion engine and its use in the automotive vehicle.No need to talk down to me. If I don't understand something I ask a question.

Other garage options don't work late and can be closed after 5pm or before of quiet That means my car in their garage instead of with me. This garage tend to be around as late as 7pm. Busy little business.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
A few points, you keep mentioning back street, if the guy is qualified surely it doesn't matter where he works out of ? did you not shop around for quotes ? or at least ask him for an estimate, yes, it does seem a bit overpriced but as you yourself say, you get no hassle getting your car back after hours etc, swings and roundabouts maybe.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sounds good to me, if they use OEM parts.

The only parts between myself and Death are the tyres, and brakes. I demand OEM for both.

( OEM tyres = tyres as recommended by the car manufacturer.)

Slowworm, his calipers needed replacing too.
(which I find a bit strange, to be frank...)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
So that's £268 but for one set or both rear brakes? If you have to double that you're into a higher total price £536. Need to add two sets of calipers too.

Just read the link, it's for both rear brakes but can't see any price for calipers. I'd expect calipers are likely to be closer to the disc and pads price or more.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I would ask why the calipers need changing. Even if old, they just need a good cleaning, and that should be really done at each brake pad change ( but seldom performed).

It is normal to have to refurbish the calipers if not previously serviced properly, or after many years of use. The parts that usually need replacing is the seals and pistons and the protective rubber boot.
There are kits the mechanics use.

Reactions: bopdude

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Slowworm, his calipers needed replacing too.
(which I find a bit strange, to be frank...)

Yes to both. The main dealer costs are also a bit out of date but I thought it would give some idea, usually I'd expect main dealers to be much more expensive.

Stood

Feb 21, 2012
Lancashire
Hi Mr Pb,

As an ‘all in’ job, ie parts, other bits brake fluid and the like plus it’s done asp, you have used them before (happily?) and it’s convenient I personally think it’s not to bad.

Get quotes from other garages in the local and compare, much better than asking here imo.

Hope it gets sorted.

Boots

P.S. on a reread I note you have had the job done. Forget the ‘quotes’ advice!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stew

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Apparently one set of calipers had seized up. We noticed a line around the disc on the brake making the grinding noise. I could still brake well. Difficult to say if it was significantly worse than normal.

The other back caliper was almost as bad apparently.

Backstreet as opposed to main dealer or manufacturer approved independent. If you like a third level of garage. That doesn't make them better or worse just they can be either whereas main dealer and approved independent has a standard to keep their status I reckon. I've used a garage before now which used qualified mechanics but they were not very good.

The garage i used has used OEM and aftermarket parts before now. Once it twice they've sold a good aftermarket part under the promise it's as good or nearly as good as oem parts.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well collecting tomorrow. I'll be looking at the calipers closely. I'll notice if they're not new.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
A seized caliper is easy to fix.. But takes time, so quicker ( but more expensive) to replace.

When I work on my drum brakes or disk brakes, I use a light coat of anti seize grease ( copper grease) when I assemble.

Same on wheel bolts, both on steel wheels and magnesium.

(I am not a mechanic, but a hobbyist that collect and restore cars. And bikes. Well, anything with an engine!
Building a bad a$$ G wagen now. Project name G655 Cayman. You will read about it in some car mags next year!)

Generally speaking, I like the brand garages, unless I found an independent garage that has the computers ( and skill) to work on that particular brand.

My mechanic knows I am a distrusting guy, so he automatically gives me the old parts.

If you are given the old calipers, you can sell them on Fleabay, just remember a correct description.

Remember, always demand OEM. You do not want them to put "Almost as good brakes as OEM" on your gravestone!
:)

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A lot of the independent approved garages, or all of them, have the software. A quirk colleague had a mechanic friend who obtained the software main dealers have. Apparently he had them on his own laptop (got updates too) but also had cut down versions on his smartphone too. It was a Nokia n95 (perhaps one of the first good smartphones but not a patch on what's around now). Did see him plug in and diagnose a car with it though.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, 'approved' ones have that. I am not sure buy I think they are also supposed to use OEM parts only?

Those garages get info about production changes, recalls and stuff like that.
Important info imo.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mine has failed it’s MOT twice on binding rear calipers. The mechanic showed my how to free them up prior to MOT and they’ve passed since.

He also showed me a cheeky trick for ridged discs. It involves a jack and a couple of axle stands, plus the discs being on the driving wheels. Put it on the stands, chock the wheels, put the car in gear and rotate the discs. Gloves, coarse flat carborundum stone held against the disc. Not advisable to remove much metal, and you can only do it a few times. In times of skintness, it has kept me on the road.

I’d say your quote was a bit over the top, but you know the guy and have piece of mind and convenience. That’s worth a few quid.

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
A decent garage has the means to fine grind / turn brake steel discs.

Brake discs made from cast steel warp easily if overheated, and can sometimes be turned perfect.

Your DIY solution is interesting though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE