Candle in the Wind?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wet and windy here. Been soaked through three times so far this afternoon.
Rain sort of loses it's charm after a bit, doesn't it ?

Stay safe, all we've had knocked over are pot plants, but there are massive puddles half way across several of the roads around here.

M

Reactions: Nomad64

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Wet and windy here. Been soaked through three times so far this afternoon.
Rain sort of loses it's charm after a bit, doesn't it ?

Stay safe, all we've had knocked over are pot plants, but there are massive puddles half way across several of the roads around here.

M

We have had a dry, cold easterly wind for the last week or more but has swung round to be a wet south westerly.

Yesterday was wet but today is definitely more wind than rain. Sod’s law - today was supposed to be the day for fitting the roof to my new chicken run!

A few branches down but so far only dead one.

Fingers crossed. :)

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I've been helping out on a Partridge shoot today up on the South Downs, within sight of the sea. Wind speed has been seemingly off the clock at times and even standing up was an effort, and the driving rain was mostly horizontal.
The amusement of the day was a guest gun, an American Gentleman who had earlier remarked to his host that the English style of shooting using Beaters to put the birds to flight, seemed almost too easy.
The Partridges came off the Downs with the wind behind them at about Mach 2 looking like jet propelled Starlings..
Seven guns, 148 shots and the 'pickers up' collected 14 birds from that drive. He was very quiet afterwards, although to be fair I think he did drop 2 birds.............:D

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
HA! What a lovely account! Made my windy day complete. Lead them by 30' and you're still behind!
If it's any consolation, I have clocked Canada geese doing 90kph. With a tail wind, who knows what they could do.

I had a colleague and friend killed by a branch as thick as his leg. Nobody heard it come off in the wind at all.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Saxonaxe, where is that shoot ?
I had a similar experience at a shoot at Heathfield Park. Ducks. The birdies came from one of the lakes, between trees, around a corner of some large trees, wind caught them and moved them sideways.
As it was gusty never the same way. I do not think I got any that day. The next day I changed place.

Still, Autumn is a wonderful time of the year! Enjoy the beautiful colours!

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Saxonaxe, where is that shoot ?

It's between Newhaven and Lewes, Janne. The birds were coming off the top of the Downs on the Southerly wind. Guns were along the foot of the North face of the Downs. High and verrrry fast Partridges..:biggrin:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
A beautiful part of UK!

I have never shot Partridges, I assume they are similar to Rock Ptarmigan!

One day. Those plus Swan. Not in UK though. Do not want to rob the venerable Queen of her dinner.....:)

I hope the trains run this week, with all the leaves on the tracks.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Yes of similar size anyway....

" I hope the trains run this week, with all the leaves on the tracks."

Leaves on the tracks?? I vaguely recall hearing about that Janne, but I've been retired for many moons. I don't have a television or read newspapers, but I do try to keep up with modern life. I'm getting quite used to this new fangled decimal currency now and I've got one of those telephones that has buttons on it to push, rather than turn the dial.
I am very stressed.........

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes of similar size anyway....

" I hope the trains run this week, with all the leaves on the tracks."

Leaves on the tracks?? I vaguely recall hearing about that Janne, but I've been retired for many moons. I don't have a television or read newspapers, but I do try to keep up with modern life. I'm getting quite used to this new fangled decimal currency now and I've got one of those telephones that has buttons on it to push, rather than turn the dial.
I am very stressed.........

Nothing was as de stressing as cleaning the horses after a days work in the fields...
:)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Last night was a surprisingly OK ride home in the bicycle. Got a few sideways gusts sending me to my left or right on the same stretch of road. However I got home in a speed I've not managed for a year or more. It was mostly behind me but didn't feel like it. I was cream crackered!

Ride in today wasn't sending me to the side it was head on all the way in. With no breakfast too (I have a porridge at work except I forgot to pack it). I bet it'll change direction through the day. It always does when I'm cycling to work.

There's a guy on a bike with two full panniers who looks like he's a school kid but I think he's in his 20s. He's always cycling in when I commute. The poor guy was struggling over the link road bridge in the headwind. A very exposed bridge. I'm a good climber so I powered past him feeling guilty for not struggling like he did. I mash out a high gear in a tuck but he was on a hybrid so more of a target for the wind. Out of the saddle too.

Of anyone is commuting by bike keep safe. It's still bad for cycling.

PS but Bushcrafty post but wind is a dangerous thing at times.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was supposed to go out for a ride last night, knocked that on the head!

we've lost some fence and the bird feeders are sideways when I look out the window! I thought it was going to ease off today but it's still pounding away :D Rivers are filling again although I don't think it's going to flood like last month...

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The road floods we get on my commute have died back a bit. Still present at the worst places but I'm not having to ride in the middle of the road to avoid the potholes in the giant puddles. Dangerous to ride through water like that because of the potholes you can't see.

It's not been too bad at work, not much flooding in the factory. A real storm causes flooding inside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE