Camp Thermometer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Hello all,

Just occurred to me that I never really know what the temp is outside. I wake, check my phone and it tells me.

Am thinking it would be good to have a old school (and small) thermometer. Am looking at the type with red dye stuff that creeps up and down a tube vertically.

Problem is I do not see these much nowadays.

Still about , something better?

Yes, yes I know I an look in ebay and amazon but still think this a good question to ask and see what others use. :)

Cheers

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have one of these clipped to my day sack. Don't know how long it will stay there. My body usually tells me if it's hot or cold but sometimes it's good to brag what I've been out in.

I was a bit suspicious about these when I went to buy one because they were all giving a different reading despite all being in the same place.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I liked the look of this one :)
https://www.cuffsncollars.co.uk/products.asp?id=3151-climate-nav-iii
CK271.jpg

Reactions: Lou

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
bought a little Silva one a couple of years ago when i was last in Sweden. Keep it hung up in the Tipi, so much fun to watch it go from 30c in the evening when the stove is roaring, to -5 in the morning before i struggle out of my sleeping bag.

Reactions: bopdude

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
My body tells me the temp.
tells me three temperatures.
Cold - get more clothes on
Perfect
Warm - take some clothes off.

I only wear my boxers at home and evening time in the garden. After dark - those come off too.

Reactions: snappingturtle

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Here it is something called Maritime Tropical.
My bod is made by the Gods for cold weather. I hate the heat here.
In 4 weeks we are off to Lofoten to do some serious fishing (weather permitting) and enjoying the cold!

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Am thinking it would be good to have a old school (and small) thermometer. Am looking at the type with red dye stuff that creeps up and down a tube vertically.

Problem is I do not see these much nowadays.

Still about , something better?

The little Silva ones (or similar) with a clip are fine, but digital thermometers are not only less breakable, they will also tell you more. You can get ones for less than a fiver, which are used for greenhouses, etc.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The local hardware store in my village stocks lots of the plain ones with the red alcohol in the tube.
Maybe a garden center, for green houses?

Digital is fine in this day and time. They rot quickly with the dissimilar metals in the humidity of a greenhouse.
I've got a digital indoor/outdoor unit, always wrong by 2C and not adjustable.

I bought half a dozen plastic and glass analog ones when I first set up the wood pellet stove for home heating.
Had to figure out the curtain system and the fan air circulation issue. My cat has not broken any of them in the past 10+ years.
If you work at it, you can move the tube up or down to get all the thermometers reading the same. Right or wrong.

My ideal temp keeps creeping upward with my age. 22C or 23C is really cozy nice now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE