Camp coffee advice wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Evening all,

When I'm camping I have always taken instant coffee for convenience but am getting more and more of a liking for the fresh ground stuff.

I'm after a way of brewing and, presumably, filtering coffee at my camps without taking a fragile cafetière or one of those phallic espresso pump things - really I just want a simple cup of black coffee from the brand of my choice.

I have been googling different options from the traditional looking Italian stove top version to a two litre monstrosity from Cotswolds and wonder what everyone's preferences are?
I'd like the option to be able to use it on a campfire, folding mini wood stove or gas stove depending on my location and don't mind a bit of extra weight and space being taken up but don't want to go overboard.

Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
Stove top (moka) pots are good, but the coffee from them isn't like a filter coffee, its more like espresso. I take one camping with me, it works well with the jetboil base.
There are quiet a few filter based systems out there, the V60 is popular with coffee geeks, or the clever dripper (my preference for paper filter based). Both of these use disposable paper filters. The aeropress is yet another option, its also uses paper filters.
I have just ordered an Oomph to try at work, on offer through ebay at the moment. This has some good reviews on the coffee forums, it seems to be less picky with grind size than some other systems, and you can drink straight from the coffee maker.

EDIT!!

Should have said, if you want to try a new system I would go for the clever dripper for a more mellow filter type coffee, or the moka pot for a stronger taste. Will do a review of the Oomph when I get it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I do have a Minipresso, but tend to take an Aeropress camping. There's a silicon lid available so you can store your coffee and filters inside the plunger. It makes a very good cup of coffee.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I did a Paul Kirtley course this summer where he demonstrated an amusing but effective method of making coffee from ground beans - I think it's a Sami method, but I was laughing so much I didn't note that bit down.

Method:
In a Zebra 16 cm pot sprinkle 1cm depth of ground coffee to create an even bottom layer in the pot.
Boil enough water to fill the pot IN ANOTHER POT or kettle (obviously a Kirtley Kettle helps with the process:rolleyes:).
Pour the water onto the ground coffee from a height (to aerate it?).
Fill the pot to about 1 inch below the top.
Put the lid on the pot.
Assume a lunging pose - lots of attitude needed here.
Lunge forward and down while holding the bail of the pot firmly and "dropping" the pot so that the contents are mixed.
Lunge several times, never letting go of the bail / pot.
After +\- 4 lunges (lunge according to taste?!) the coffee is ready. No presses, filters or other faffing.
Pour carefully but with enthusiasm.
To remove the grounds, lunge and throw in a suitably histrionic manner away from the camp area.
Good coffee & even better entertainment.
All the best,
Rob

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I just put a couple of spoons of coffee grounds in a pot, add a little more than a cup/mug/kuksa of water, cover and bring to the boil. Once boiled add a little cold water and the grounds will sink to the bottom. Then just pour carefully. Works for me.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Coarse ground coffee. Aluminium Trangia pot ( my preference, many others on market).
One scoop ( small handful) of grounds per cup.
Put in cold water, heat up uon fire without lid until start of boiling.
Remove from fire, let the boil settle (about 15 seconds)
Boil up sgain, remove, settle.

Three boil ups total. Them
N remive f4om fire, let grounds settle to bottom. Pour gently, do not disturb settled grounds.

That is what we do in Sweden.
For p4oper Swedish bush coffee, you need to add lots of Vodka!

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Coarse ground coffee. Aluminium Trangia pot ( my preference, many others on market).
One scoop ( small handful) of grounds per cup.
Put in cold water, heat up uon fire without lid until start of boiling.
Remove from fire, let the boil settle (about 15 seconds)
Boil up sgain, remove, settle.

Three boil ups total. Them
N remive f4om fire, let grounds settle to bottom. Pour gently, do not disturb settled grounds.

That is what we do in Sweden.
For p4oper Swedish bush coffee, you need to add lots of Vodka!

Sounds great, especially the addition at the end ! :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yep. 99% of all gadgets are no improvement on the remaining 1%.

The quality of the coffee is what is important. and the grind.

In Sweden they make a specific grind for the "boil coffee". Course. Fine grinds ( Espresso grinds) take forever to settle.
A good, oldfashioned receipe is:

Brew you coffee.
Place a silvery coin in the bottom of the cup.
Pour coffee until you do not see the coin.
Pour in Vodka until you see it again.

Sounds daft, but with really, really strong brew You only need a small amount of coffee to flavor your cup.

The Vodka is purely medicinal of course. To prevent whatever stuff you can catch. Scabies, Zika, colds, if it has a Latin diagnose, it can be prevented!

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I just put a couple of spoons of coffee grounds in a pot, add a little more than a cup/mug/kuksa of water, cover and bring to the boil. Once boiled add a little cold water and the grounds will sink to the bottom. Then just pour carefully. Works for me.

That reminds me of the old cowboy coffee methods which to my shame I have never tried.
I think I'm going to give this a go before breaking out my wallet - I was always concerned about getting coffee grounds in my mouth a bit like old school tea leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That reminds me of the old cowboy coffee methods which to my shame I have never tried.
I think I'm going to give this a go before breaking out my wallet - I was always concerned about getting coffee grounds in my mouth a bit like old school tea leaves.

Pour it through a tea strainer and you'll be fine

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants

In Sweden they make a specific grind for the "boil coffee". Course. Fine grinds ( Espresso grinds) take forever to settle.

Brew you coffee.

Sounds daft, but with really, really strong brew You only need a small amount of coffee to flavor your cup.

The Vodka is purely medicinal of course. To prevent whatever stuff you can catch. Scabies, Zika, colds, if it has a Latin diagnose, it can be prevented!

No point taking chances with your health ;)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We just boiled the water, pinch of salt, handful(s) of perk (coarse) coffee, off the fire, stir it and let it steep.
Always have enough water and enough coffee so you don't need to drink the sludge. What's left to do?

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland

Brew you coffee.

Roughly speaking that’s Turkish coffee, which I love and even more pleased to hear its what the Scandos do :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have never been to Turkey, but yes I ghink do. I guess our heroic king, King XII, took it back home with the other recipes after his war down in Turkeyland.

They have a special vessel to do it in, I believe, one shaped to keep the grounds in the pot when you pour.

Ms Google tells that the vessel is called cezve or ibrik

Last edited:

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I used a small mesh ball on my last trip, fill with fresh ground coffee, it hangs on a chain from the rim of your mug. Just pour hot water in, and leave it steep for a few minutes :)

You can pick them up on ebay for a few quid, just search for "mesh ball tea leaf strainer"

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Coffee tends to exacerbate my anxiety, so I much prefer Hot Chocolate when I'm out and about.
However every so often when I make coffee at home I go Greek style like my Grampy showed me.
Similar to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TleH2q86O0M
Never really noticed a problem with grounds as long as you take your time drinking it... Just don't forget the foam...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE