Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Hey all,
Im looking for an active or partially active group to spend a little time with, hopefully likeminded people into outdoors, wildernes, a little survival, firemaking knifemaking leatherwork charcoal burning coppacing, green woodwork etc.

Im based in Cambridgeshire and dont know of too many places where i can indulge in these activities although im sure they exist. Wondering if there are any likeminded individuals about?

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
Hi Badgeringtim

I am based in Cambs but I am afraid there is nowhere local to go or any groups. So I am limited to a couple of outings a years.

Mike

Alex Roddie

May 23, 2008
Norwich
I used to live in Cambridgeshire. When I was a kid we used to do bushcrafty things in Gamlingay Wood, which is between Eltisley and Potton. Nearby Gransden wood is also good. Both are nature reserves, mostly coppices but quite ancient. Fires are not allowed and permission should be saught for other activities but they are probably the best bits of woodland in Cambridgeshire.

They used to organise regular foraging events, particular for fungi. Both woods exhibit an enormous amount of different fungi species in the autumn.

http://www.wildlifebcnp.org/reserves/reserve.php?reserveid=48

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I live in cambridge and get out now and again usually around some woods nearby or upton woods up near peterborough.

weekender

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'm near Cambridge. I tend to do a bit of discrete gathering of fallen birch in Haley or Weresley wood, usually as part of dog walking. I seldom stay out these days as SWMBO
likes her comforts, and seems to count me as one of them!
Offering your services as a beater to local shoots can be a good way of getting time in woods you wouldn't normally get access to, and you might get some shooting to if you are interested.

Dave

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Thanks for the replies folks.
Seems like there might be a bit of interest. Would any of the above be interesting in meeting up? Depending on what people are interested in it could just be a social thing or possibly try to do some knowlage sharing/practice?

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Thanks for the replies folks.
Seems like there might be a bit of interest. Would any of the above be interesting in meeting up? Depending on what people are interested in it could just be a social thing or possibly try to do some knowlage sharing/practice?

Hi Fellas
I am in Huntingdon and would possibly be interested in the above if we can rub some ideas together.

Let me know :)

Craeg

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
anyone still interested in cambs can add my msn and we can chat for a bit then maybe meet up:

leighspost@hotmail.com

best to email me first though as i get a lot of spam msn addy's.

I am interested in most bushcraft. I regularly forage for wild food. Mainly sea food, wild garlic, marsh samphire. I have fires often mainly of birch or conifer.

I would like to hook up with a few guys and have some nights out in the woods.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi sam,

Is that private owned? If I can get details, knowing if camping is ok would be a great help.

I was on a food from the hedgerows tour today I asked the ranger about camping. Absolute no-no due to and old law, cant remember now.

Its baffling me as forestry commission want inclusion, provide 24 hour access but 'no camping'. Permission should really be granted upon request and a small charge. I would be happy for that.

Anyone else out there for a meetup?

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I'll be in Cambs soon, 4 weeks from now. Will be there for the summer and possibly after. I could well be interested in meeting up somewhere.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Hey all, glad to see some life in the old post!
Id definately be interested in a meet up.
I wonder if it would be easiest to do a day meet and see whats what?
Gamlingay is a nice little patch - but quite a few folks so depends what people want to be doing.
It'd be nice to be able to at least have a little play with some friction firelighting and a whittle. I have a little (very home made) oven arangement i can bring so no 'open' fire. Would want to check first though.
And could drive from cambs?
or even just meet for a bit of a forage - got elderflower last weekend for bubbly and have my eye on some dandilion and burdock roots (again permission...)

Im away for a week, but maybe meet 2nd weekend of june or something like that?

:)

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
In case some one hasn't seen this. All the local nature reserves and whats in them (lots of free fruit and some unsual mature trees)
http://www.wildlifebcnp.org/reserves/county.php?county=Cambridgeshire
NatureReservesinCambsNothhantsandBe.jpg

I'm up for Bushcrafting in the area! A little further out (Bury St. Edmund's/Newmarket)

Anything happened yet? this thread was started a while ago now! Im gona spend some time this year looking around locally for some 'Proper' permissions for full Bushcrafting! There are tons of small woods around, so gona approach local farmers/landowners via kind letters!

Here is a good video on YouTube by The SilverFox
tips on gaining Permissions

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Ok so maybe easiest to arrange to go for a walk first and meet up, we might then get the drive to arrange a 'proper' meet?

Although...ive been thinking that doing some volunteering for a local wildlife trust to help with management or copping might be an easy way to meet and have a bit of a fire, without any hassle and of course we would be helping out.
Wolf - i dont tend to go out that way but if you do know any areas for a meet or anything, or anyone else for that matter please pipe up. There are a few of us who have posted on here must be worth a little meet?
There is a nice little patch of ancient woodland called Gamlingay - its on the above map the patch east of St Neots i think. only little and a bit to popular for my liking so if anyone else has some ideas?
Im happy to give lifts from cambridge if that helps anyone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE