Bushmoot Bannock Mix Recipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Any chance someone could post the recipe for the bannock mix that was in the goody bags?

I misplaced my copy of it and as it was particularly tasty version I'd like to be able to make my own at home :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
BANNOCK BREAD DRY MIX Bannock bread is something that is easy to make and cook around a campfire. This is a dry mix and can be stored until needed - just add a bit of water. Try adding fruit, bacon or onion.

Ingredients
1. 3 x Cups of Flour
2. 2 x Cups of Powdered Milk
3. 2 x Tbsp. of Sugar
4. 1 x Tbsp. Baking Powder
5. Luke Warm Water

Equipment
1 x Baking Tin or Medium Bake Bean Tin or Frying Pan
1 x Large Mixing Bowl
1 x Tinfoil
Grease Proof Paper
A) Put ingredients 1 to 4 in together and mix into a bowl to create the dry mix.
B) Slowly add the warm water till you get a good dough bread consistency, Line your tin with the Grease Proof Paper then Roll your dough into a ball and put into your tin - leave in a warm area to settle for 20-30 minutes (if using yeast instead of baking powder).
C) Place cooking pot on a fire with heat underneath & above and cook til golden.
VARIATION: Twister Sticks: Get sticks you know aren't poisonous and get some dough and twist around sticks and hold close to fire – Cook till golden.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ha ha, I was just getting Shelly to go and find it fro the box in the loft! Goodjob Mark

We've got a few of these left so we're going to cook them up at the beach tomorrow where we're planning on having breakfast and spending the morning :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
BANNOCK BREAD DRY MIX Bannock bread is something that is easy to make and cook around a campfire. This is a dry mix and can be stored until needed - just add a bit of water. Try adding fruit, bacon or onion.

Ingredients
1. 3 x Cups of Flour
2. 2 x Cups of Powdered Milk
3. 2 x Tbsp. of Sugar
4. 1 x Tbsp. Baking Powder
5. Luke Warm Water

Equipment
1 x Baking Tin or Medium Bake Bean Tin or Frying Pan
1 x Large Mixing Bowl
1 x Tinfoil
Grease Proof Paper
A) Put ingredients 1 to 4 in together and mix into a bowl to create the dry mix.
B) Slowly add the warm water till you get a good dough bread consistency, Line your tin with the Grease Proof Paper then Roll your dough into a ball and put into your tin - leave in a warm area to settle for 20-30 minutes (if using yeast instead of baking powder).
C) Place cooking pot on a fire with heat underneath & above and cook til golden.
VARIATION: Twister Sticks: Get sticks you know aren't poisonous and get some dough and twist around sticks and hold close to fire – Cook till golden.

Is that Tbsp (Table Spoon) Tsp (teaspoon)?
It seems a bit heavy on sugar and baking powder....

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Considering there's 5 cups of powder (flour and Milk powder) the quantity of sugar and baking powder is right
the sample supplied was far smaller though of course - 5 cups will make a huge bannock

Enjoy Tony

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I loved the mix we had - I combined both Mesquites gift and mine to make this - it was delicious hot as well as cold :)
P8050125.jpg
P8050126.jpg
I only wanted to be sure as it seems to have more sugar and BP than my previous recipes...
I will be using the recipe again!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We had some of this yesterday on the BBQ, made patties with it with choc chips in it and some mixed spices in some others, lovely stuff and easy to cook...

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
We had some of this yesterday on the BBQ, made patties with it with choc chips in it and some mixed spices in some others, lovely stuff and easy to cook...
Hello! Great post, thank you Buckshot for the recipe too...
Could you recommend which sticks to avoid , when choosing a stick to wrap the bannock on?
I know the obvious toxic ones like Yew and Blackthorn but I reckon there are more..?

Or if it's easier, which woods are NON toxic and best for making stick bread over a fire?
Ash, beech , oak, chestnut , Hawthorne?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
All of those you've listed are fine plus willow, hazel, birch to name a few others.

Just make sure you scrape the bark off the section the food is going to be touching.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
All of those you've listed are fine plus willow, hazel, birch to name a few others.

Just make sure you scrape the bark off the section the food is going to be touching.

Brilliant! Thank you very much!
Are there more Toxic ones to avoid , other than Yew and Blackthorn?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've not heard that blackthorn is toxic, especially as I've seen spoons etc made from it.

As for other toxic woods Holly, laburnum and laurel need to be steered clear of. There are a few others but I can't remember off the top of my head what they are.

Coniferous woods have been known to taint food due to their resins so not a good idea to use either

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I've not heard that blackthorn is toxic, especially as I've seen spoons etc made from it.

As for other toxic woods Holly, laburnum and laurel need to be steered clear of. There are a few others but I can't remember off the top of my head what they are.

Coniferous woods have been known to taint food due to their resins so not a good idea to use either
Excellent! Thank you so much for your advice, it's much appreciated!
I thought the Blackthorn was toxic due to reading that if pricked by a thorn it could go septic , hence why they used it in medieval times for thick hedges to keep intruders at bay... I must have misconstrued that assumption though...
Thank you for the sound advice.
All the best

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
The thorns on Blackthorn are bad because of the bacteria rather than the wood itself I think
OK , that is possible. Like I said , I read in Ben Law's book "the woodsman", that in medieval times it was used for thick (6 to 9 feet) hedges as a deterrent to invaders and the likes.
But Im not sure either if it was poison on the thorns, toxins or just the fact that cuts and grazes would often cause other complications if left untreated back then...
Again, thank you all for the advice and for the recipe!
Will try it out next week when away with the kids!
:)

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
OK , that is possible. Like I said , I read in Ben Law's book "the woodsman", that in medieval times it was used for thick (6 to 9 feet) hedges as a deterrent to invaders and the likes.
But Im not sure either if it was poison on the thorns, toxins or just the fact that cuts and grazes would often cause other complications if left untreated back then...
Again, thank you all for the advice and for the recipe!

It was used more as a deterrent not because of poisonous thorns but due to the fact that enemies would have an extremely hard time forcing their way through a hedge armed with long extremely sharp spines.

The infections caused by being scratched by the thorns were of secondary concern.

Next time you're out have a look at a big, thick blackthorn hedge and you'll see what I mean

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE