Bushcrafty goals for 2018...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all,

Happy New Year!

Last year I posted a threat which detailed some of my bushcraft and outdoorsy goals for the year ahead. Here's a link to that thread in case you're interested:

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/bushcrafty-goals-for-2017.143274/

I'm pleased to report that I was able to stick to all but the last objective. That being my abject failure to stop buying kit! I guess I'm like a magpie when it comes to camping kit! But on a more positive note, I managed to camp out each and every month; volunteer with my local woodland trust; learn/practice new fire lighting techniques and become more acquainted with the wildlife in my local woodland.

Having found the exercise quite productive last year, this has got me thinking about the things I want to try and do this year. So, in no particular order, here it is:

• Continue to camp out each month. However, this year I'd like to instil a bit more variety to my camping locations. Aside from woodland camps, I'd like to do a summit camp on top of a big hill somewhere with great views. I'd also like to do a coastal camp and explore new woodlands.
  • Hike some more of the North Downs Way (my local national trail!) with some nights out in the bivvy bag on the side of the trail.
  • Undertake some more bushcrafty challenges on my wild camps. I'm thinking of challenges that will help to test skills like minimal kit load-out, Daniel Boone challenge, one tool challenge and whatever else I can think of.
  • Continue to practice fire lighting techniques; I've put it off for a while but I think this year will be the year that I practice making fire by friction.
  • Maintain a small wildlife sanctuary that I'm creating in my permission. I've got some bird feeders dotted around to help the birds through winter. I'm also intending on approaching the landowner to seek permission to build a small bird hide using natural materials that I find in the woodland (lots of deadfall and debris).
  • Get my young niece and nephews out on some camps and share some knowledge with them about basic bushcraft skills (they already know a fair bit!)
  • Continue to volunteer with my local woodland trust.
  • Continue to post regular blogs on my adventures.
I think that'll do for now and should keep me entertained for the year.

What about you, do you have any outdoorsy aspirations for the year?

Reactions: oldtimer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE