Bushcraftuk.com seems less and less populated nowadays.. :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yep.. since the forum update it seems that there are far fewer posts and replies than ever before.

I've been a member for years and I don't remember a time when it was so baron at times. Is there actually less traffic and active posting members than before the update and the years before that? Or am I just imagining things..?

Anyone else feel like this?

Reactions: santaman2000

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Ive noticed the same thing. I check in 3
or 4 times a day and there are usually very few new posts.
Wonder what is up with that?
Personally I do not post a lot here, but I read a lot more.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Speaking as someone who dips into BCUK every few years, the new layout really isn't an upgrade.

I can't find anything, and that's not just the curmudgeon in my complaining about change. It genuinely is less user friendly.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It's really nothing to do with summer. The lack of traffic was timed around the update from my memory. Even I considered not bothering with the forum as the new layout was a pain and it seemed like no one was contributing anyway.

And even though I did all the leg work and hoops to get started again I also find the new layout/format is inferior and annoying. I can't find the old threads that held all the collective input and knowledge and along with photobucket stabbing everyone in the back it's made the whole thing an unfortunate and slow experience lately.

There were many members who have now gone that used to do plenty of fine and entertaining stuff here. Now they're gone.. and only few remain.

Admittedly, the bit of diy stuff I used to do here has slowed down for no reason I can pinpoint and I've never been an expert in any gathering or woodcraft anyway thus my input to the forum has been trading and the odd diy bit. I haven't made a knife in months.. nor a worthy project to hsow off.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I doubt the update would have put off many people who want to post. I've noticed similar dwindling numbers on other Fora I look at and put it down to people using facebook etc. I also wouldn't be surprised if less people are interested in bushcraft these days as I tend to find less people are interested in practical activities.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Don't think the format is a problem but I am still a newbie, surly this is the time and has been for most to actually put to use what they discus, I have been hiking the last few months myself and a lot of it, but every four days of a week is work, which give's me access to the net and most of my job is monitoring so lots of time free.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I've noticed the same, but see it as a result of the Facebook groups becoming so big. Often when chatting to folk and I ask them are you a member of the bushcraft forum they reply yes, but it always turns out to be one of the facebook groups instead

Reactions: Essexman

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Since the update i have not been able to log in on my laptop, i can do it from my tablet ( obviously since I'm here ) but not my laptop......most infuriating.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think, to be honest, the peak has past. We no longer have so many RM wannabees. I would be interested to know if the course attendance numbers have dropped and if this is a general subject trend.
I don't believe the new site has anything to do with it - I can still find everything and I actually find the site easier to navigate than many forums. The truth is there is nothing new under the sun (there never was) so without so many newbees asking questions there's little to discuss other than each of us showing off our latest attempts at stuff (no insult intended; I like to see the craft of the very skilled members on here).

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
"I think, to be honest, the peak has past."

Explained in far fewer words than I was about to attempt.

Gone are the days when for some it felt like a brave new world.

K

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I think PC has crept in, and a lot op people are scared of upsetting others, and inevitably don't bother taking part in some of the conservations, which less face it usually end up in arguments between members,and in most cases drift away from the original theme of the thread,, another thing that strikes me is there are very few follow up threads after advice is given, which can be a bit disheartening.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Yep.. since the forum update it seems that there are far fewer posts and replies than ever before.

I've been a member for years and I don't remember a time when it was so baron at times. Is there actually less traffic and active posting members than before the update and the years before that? Or am I just imagining things..?

Anyone else feel like this?

same here, very little activity online in comparison to a couple of years back. Not a fan of the new forum layout but I don't think that's the whole reason, generally speaking I think interest in bushcraft has peaked and is in decline. I organise regular meets in a private woodland here in the Midlands and find they are a fairly good barometer. There used to be a good choice of meets around here, now ours is the only one with regular meetups that are advertised here on BCUK, I don't know what's happening on FB. Even so interest and numbers are in decline and no doubt there will come a time when it becomes uneconomical to operate, sad really.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
I've noticed the same, but see it as a result of the Facebook groups becoming so big. Often when chatting to folk and I ask them are you a member of the bushcraft forum they reply yes, but it always turns out to be one of the facebook groups instead

This has effected knife forums too. I know of at least one knife forum that shut down due to most of it's members going to Instagram.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Personally I find posting photographs a pain unless I am on my laptop and this has reduced my input, I haven't found a problem with the newer layout but it is much easier for me to post on a facebook group from mobile. I do check in daily still. No doubt once the winter arrives the footfall will improve.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
it the same with meets scrumpy and I used to run one at Swift valley the numbers dwindled and we eventually call, same it a day same thing happened to the super sausage meet, while we are on about new layout does anyone know how to delete past conversations ?

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
, while we are on about new layout does anyone know how to delete past conversations ?

Click on the little box next to the pm, highlight all the ones you want to delete, then scroll to the bottom of the page where there is a drop down menu, click on "leave conversations"

Reactions: woodstock

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
To increase the enjoyment we get out of this Forum, create more new threads!

If the subject is not interesting it will die quite quickly, if interesting it will live on!

I just hope the owners of this Forum do not have to spend money, because that would be really bad and unfair.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE