Bushcraft Club Ireland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
Donal Carrol has started a bushcraft club in ireland. it is an above board endevour with insurance covered through MCI and land usage permissions through Coilte (although we are looking for other areas of deciduous woodland where we can get land owners permission to practice bushcraft with a "leave no trace" approach, so if you know of anyone or anywhere fitting, please get in touch with us)
first meet was this weekend (14th-15th june) and it went very well. there was only Donal and myself, with a brief visit from Luke of Survival.ie. luke has a more american approch to bushcraft (everything big and nasty and extreme etc.) which clashes a bit with our ethos (maximum comfort and relaxation, nice cups of tea, etc) but he did give us some neat pointers on edible foods in the wild. thanks luke.

anyone interested in getting involved in this kind of carry-on? contact myself or Donal.
you can find Donal (crapbag) on this thread on boards.ie, or you can email me at archangelstudio (at) gmail (dot) com. all members over 18 are welcome. (under 18 please contact us to discuss further) no experiance vital.

tim001.jpg

tim002.jpg

tim003.jpg

our-work001.jpg

here you can see cordage made from nettles (about 2 feet each. quite easy to make and pretty strong too) my flint and steel, some birch wood harvested for making various things, such as bowdrills. and the birchbark curls for making birchtar glue and for providing tinder.

tea001.jpg

tea002.jpg

dinner-time001.jpg

donal002.jpg

donal003.jpg

Paddywacker

May 31, 2008
Dublin
Ahh I'd have loved to have popped up to that for a few hours. I wouldnt have been able to stay though because of work. I noticed this on boards.ie but I havent been on that site in a while.
Looks like you had a good time guys.

Looks interesting. My MCI membership has lapsed in the past couple of years. Coillte seem pretty decent about the 'leave no trace' policy, worked well with geocaching anyway hopefully that will work will with bushcraft too. Is there a mailing list or do I need to keep an eye on boards.ie (I've the same username there btw)?

Cheers,
~Albert

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
ya, there is a mailing list that Donal is keeping. if you email me your details i will pass them along to Donal. just email address will do. my email address is in the above post.

this started off as an idea over on boards.ie, but has gained momentum quite quickly. i can see this as being a landmark summer for bushcrafting in ireland. here is the currnet thread on boards.ie.
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315103
and here is the thread that started it off.
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055044235

re; MCI membership. mine lapsed many years ago. i have to get around to sorting that out. dont let the lack of MCI membership hold you back. come out anyway, just dont kill yourself. shouldn't be hard to re-register with the MCI though.

on any trips, people coming out just for the day is fine.just bring some water and a mug so
you can have tea.

confirmed trips so far for the summer; Gort 18th-20th july. see the ireland section of meetups and social chatter here on bushcraftuk.
Kerry 25th-27th july. more info on this one to follow.
there will also be trips out to wicklow pretty regularly. only limit on wicklow trips is who has a car going through dublin to provide transport.
i am sure we can organise other trips to other locations.
Preacherman, with you in cork would you know anyone who owns suitable woodland in your area we can use for a trip? Ireland is a nice small country, so its handy enough to get around to different peoples areas and see what they all have to offer.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I am interested in getting to the Gort meet. Will confirm tomorrow. Have to check with the "boss" to see if she is interested too. Is there room for a Tentipi Varrie 9 there? If not there is no bother , we have smaller tents. If I am on my own I will use a hammock and tarp.

As for woods in Cork, I live near a Coillte owned wood myself. I have done a little exploring there but not much. Just moved to the area. I am planning to put up a hammock there for a couple of nights on the QT in a couple of weeks. I have to pass a few houses on the way in so not sure about suitability for discreet entry for a group without drawing attention. Maybe you would know about getting permission if the site was suitable. The woods are along a coastline and have a mixture of decidious and coniferous trees. I will let you know how I get on if I get out as planned. The part of Cork I live in is fairly agricultural so no real choice of private woodland that I know of but I will check it out.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
ok. a mod has opted to move this thread into the ireland part of meetups and social chatter. it makes sense, although it is a bloody dead end. no one looks in here, and you cannot link to the page from anywhere else, as the link appears the same as the main forum. soooo. major suckage.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
You can use this link http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31325

And this is the forum that it should be in, it might be nice to remember that you're building your project with the help of my site, I pay the bills, i make the rules and most are happy and appreciate it. You can pay to advertise it if you want? And i'm presuming that it's not commercial in any way?

People with an interest in getting together in Ireland look in here ;)

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
You can use this link http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31325

And this is the forum that it should be in, it might be nice to remember that you're building your project with the help of my site, I pay the bills, i make the rules and most are happy and appreciate it. You can pay to advertise it if you want? And i'm presuming that it's not commercial in any way?

People with an interest in getting together in Ireland look in here ;)

Lol and you see me slooooooowly back out of this thread

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
Tony. sorry. no offence meant. i know this is where this thread is meant to be, seeing as it turned into a "meet-up" thread. the linking thing is a bug-bear, but you provided a link. i dunno how, as up in the address bar it shows the main address of the forum, not a specific thread. thanks for the link. no idea how you got it. but thanks.

the club is not a commercial enterprise. it is also in no way endorsing any other comercial enterprises. Luke from survival.ie popped out to see us briefly, and that is all we have to do with his business. we wish him luck, as we do with everyone.

i hope this clears everything up, and negates any ruffled feathers? if so... get back in here Nicolas! :)

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
Tony. sorry. no offence meant. i know this is where this thread is meant to be, seeing as it turned into a "meet-up" thread. the linking thing is a bug-bear, but you provided a link. i dunno how, as up in the address bar it shows the main address of the forum, not a specific thread. thanks for the link. no idea how you got it. but thanks.

the club is not a commercial enterprise. it is also in no way endorsing any other comercial enterprises. Luke from survival.ie popped out to see us briefly, and that is all we have to do with his business. we wish him luck, as we do with everyone.

i hope this clears everything up, and negates any ruffled feathers? if so... get back in here Nicolas! :)

Pm send ;)

D

Dunne

hi
bushman herejust looking dose anyone know if there is any survival instructor courses in ireland and were are the thanks

D

Dunne

dunne here just wouldering is there any date set for this years meet yet

Crapbag

Its been a while since I update the thread. Thankfully its not due to inactivity in the club. We got out this weekend to a place called Mount Nugent in Co. Cavan (not Meath as I said before) thanks to a very generous couple who allowed us to use their magnificent woodland. We arrived on the Saturday and set up camp. In total we had 7 on site but only 3 able to stay. There was alot on this weekend (including the match and the bike show) so I wasnt surprised that not many stayed. Our sincere thanks to the landowners and the people who helped me arrange it by getting me in contact with them.

P3010138.jpg

Lore with his mini bow drill set. Proving the idea that the size of the set doesnt matter. Although it was the butt end of some jokes :)

P3010140.jpg

Irishlostboy in his favorite position, bed! We almost need to carve a throwing stick to get him out.

P3010142.jpg

We cleaned up the fire so well, we actually couldnt find it ourselves afterwards. 'You're pointing in the wrong place T!'

P2280130.jpg

We identified what looked like tinder fungus but there are a few that look similar, so we're gonna dry it and test it out.

P3010144.jpg

All together it was an excellent weekend. We are hoping to run many more coming into the summer. We got 3 new members from the weekend so If you are interested, pm me here or contact us by email. We're hoping to have another outing soon, there are open days in both the IPNA and Wild Live, so we dont want to clash with them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE