Day Out Bushcraft basics with the kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Another gorgeous sunday afternoon so I took my 2 youngest to the woods to give them a quick lesson on basic fire lighting. We sourced fatwood, birch bark, cramp balls and then used ferro rod and tinder nest to start. Kids loved it and I'll make sure they put it into play when they have thier first "proper" overnighter.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think makes for such a rich childhood, and it all helps develop a grounded self confidence and a genuine 'can do', in youngsters, and that makes a great foundation for adulthood.
Nothing beats parents spending time with their kids. It's an awful lot better than it was, but too many children still miss out on the whole balance of adult males doing stuff outdoors, in workshops, etc., with them. I know it's not easy with long working hours and both parents working, but memories of days like those last a lifetime.
I hope you have a great many more of them, and thank you for sharing :D

M

Reactions: nobby8126

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
I think makes for such a rich childhood, and it all helps develop a grounded self confidence and a genuine 'can do', in youngsters, and that makes a great foundation for adulthood.
Nothing beats parents spending time with their kids. It's an awful lot better than it was, but too many children still miss out on the whole balance of adult males doing stuff outdoors, in workshops, etc., with them. I know it's not easy with long working hours and both parents working, but memories of days like those last a lifetime.
I hope you have a great many more of them, and thank you for sharing :D

M
couldn't agree more. Thanks

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
I realize that good hand/eye coordination has to come first.
What's a good starting age for kids to enjoy adventures like this?
Depends on what you’re doing with them, foraging for blackberries as young as you like. I tried to have mine used to cooking and being around fires from about 5. They pick things up really quickly so down to individual kid really. I’m by no means an authority on the subject as my 4 boys are 3 parts feral

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks. My twin grandsons are just 4 yrs old.
Foraging berries? The dogs watched them and got into the act as well!
I'm having bib-front aprons in camo cloth made for them ( not the dogs).

Reactions: nobby8126

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE