Buffalo shirt/hood question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I have a 10’ish year old buffalo special 6 shirt that has been packed away for a while and recently rediscovered.
It’s missing the hood which search as I might I just can’t find.

I have found replacements online, buffalo DP hood, which I am looking to buy but am wondering about sizing.

Does anyone know if the hood size needs to match the shirt?
I’m asking as the shirt is a 48 (XXL) but I have a really tiny head (XS in crash helmet) and I’m wondering if I canon and match?
Weirdly I’m generally a M/L in tops but tend to use the buffalo as part of a layering system and like it a bit roomy.

Many thanks, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I think the hoods came as one size only, but i may be wrong.

I think you may be right about the originals but the ones I’ve seen online right now seems to be available in as many sizes as there are shirts, it would usually be a problem except for my bl**dy pinhead!

RichardJackson

Forager
Jul 7, 2011
Beccles
I have a long neck so got a larger hood than shirt. Any neck discrepency (don't think there is any) can be taken up by the velcro fastening. Not a problem.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hammock Hamster
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Just a quick update for anyone in the same boat, I managed to track down Buffalo via their Facebook page and have been advised all sized hoods should fit all sized shirts.
I am now the proud owner of an XXL special 6 with a teeny tiny S hood and all fits together perfectly.

All the best, Hamster

Reactions: BJJJ

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
What do you think of the hood?

I bought one a few years ago and its never been used other than a quick test. Horrible bits of velcro that constantly rubbed my face. Seemed a pretty poor design, so maybe its been changed since.

RichardJackson

Forager
Jul 7, 2011
Beccles
What do you think of the hood?

I bought one a few years ago and its never been used other than a quick test. Horrible bits of velcro that constantly rubbed my face. Seemed a pretty poor design, so maybe its been changed since.
You have to fold the velcro flap back over on itself to keep it off your face. That is, until you want to batten down the hatches when you need the fiddly mouth patch which has inevitably just fallen out of your pocket

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I have swapped my Buffalo hood for a Montane hood and that's made a real improvement. Don't know if they are readily available, but I found mine on ebay as a random sale.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
I’ve had my old Survival Aids branded Buffalo for over 30 years and despite trying repeatedly to get the hood to work it remains as good as new in the box of retired kit, unlike the smock which is battered but going strong.
I’d buy another tomorrow, but I’d be getting a Montane hood like DocG. I’ve a Montane smock too and the hood is the best thing about it. I much prefer the Buffalo for fit and function even though they are at a glance ‘the same thing’. (They’re not!)

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I'd agree with underground that the mix of Bufflo shirt +.Montane hood = great combo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE