Brushes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh those are excellent :D
I made some, and I did use them, but they were not simple things at first.
Once you got the 'peeling' action right though, they do strip down well.
You managed to keep the handles a good thickness on those too; a couple of mine ended up like spikes :oops:

M

Reactions: zornt and Kepis

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Oh those are excellent :D
I made some, and I did use them, but they were not simple things at first.
Once you got the 'peeling' action right though, they do strip down well.
You managed to keep the handles a good thickness on those too; a couple of mine ended up like spikes :oops:

M

I know what you mean about trying to make them in the beginning, i thought i had it all wrong as it just wouldn't work, then all of a sudden, boom, off it goes, once you get the technique it's quite fast.

i use a large brush at shows and events to brush off my chopping block, much better and far more in keeping than 'orrible plastic things

Reactions: Toddy and zornt

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I posted the original pictures but never got around to doing any :eek:

Any chance you could do tutorial Mark as the person who gave me permission to use their pics has taken them down and my original thread no longer makes sense

Edit... Mary beat me to the original thread while I was busy typing :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I posted the original pictures but never got around to doing any :eek:

Any chance you could do tutorial Mark as the person who gave me permission to use their pics has taken them down and my original thread no longer makes sense

Edit... Mary beat me to the original thread while I was busy typing :)

I can do that Steve, might take me a week or so as i wont be able to get any fresh Hazel or Willow until next Saturday, all the stuff i have here in the workshop is too dry.

Reactions: MrEd

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Was looking through some photo folders on the pooter and found this one pic of a brush in process.

DSCN1194 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

I will take a series of photo's or if i feel like it possibly a video of how to make these as soon as i get some fresh materials

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:)
Good on you; I've no notion to be sitting outside just now peeling it back. It's cold, damp, and there's a decidedly icy wind blowing.
I'll shiver later, maybe :)

Did you have photos on the older thread ? we could copy them across ?

M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am still using my original one (that shows how much housework I do!) and although it now looks a bit battered it is still recognizable...

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ol' Raymondo is doing it the other way by carving the bristles, these ones are made using riven wood, im off up the lakes on Saturday so can hopefully get some fresh cut Hazel & Willow while im there and then next week, i'll start trying to make a video on how to do it

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ours weren't carved, they peeled. Riven....yes, very, very finely riven.
Really nice bristles when you finally get the hang of it :D

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Ah riven.... hadn't thought of that way, is probably easier all being told

Looking forward to Kepis' video now :angelic2:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE