Birch Sap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Anyone got stuck into collecting sap yet? I was just thinking that it's coming time, even with the bad weather I expect that there's some rising. If you are let us know how It's going and any pics would be brill goodjob

Reactions: srod and boubindica

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Nice - glad I spotted this thread!

Just went out to my local woodland a tapped a couple of birch trees, buds on them just starting to form. Bottles filling nicely. Will head out again tonight to see how much I've got.
b3bf50f9714d31958275210757100a56.jpg
7361bb09cabcb61de2ba44051fc1de1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Pick the buds. Dry and you have a lovely tea!
Oooh, will try that too... Also have a recent haul of chaga so am loving all things birch right now!

Well this was this evening's harvest. Very nice it is too, very smooth.
1a304b80d7344abec55385752ace6fc5.jpg

Reactions: Janne

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Had a bit of a half-hearted attempt at my first birch tapping last week, would have been better but I totally forgot about it till early afternoon so only had a couple or three hours of tapping !

Plenty of sap, had enough for my first few mouthfuls, found it a bit disappointing though to be honest, no real flavour or sweetness, just like cool water really. Maybe I've cauterised my taste buds over the years with malt whisky ! :)

Nice to have tried it, but can't say I'm bothered about doing it again.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Plenty of sap, had enough for my first few mouthfuls, found it a bit disappointing though to be honest, no real flavour or sweetness, just like cool water really. Maybe I've cauterised my taste buds over the years with malt whisky ! :)

Nice to have tried it, but can't say I'm bothered about doing it again.

It is a very light taste but I find quite refreshing; I like a drop in my malt (I usually drink malt neat). You can reduce it down to a sweeter taste and even as far as a syrup though you need quite a lot to start with. It takes quite a while to collect any quantity and I tend to use much larger trees than the one in your photo.

Reactions: Paulm

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Oooh, thanks for the reminder... if i find any decent trees to tap, i'll post pics... never tasted birch sap but i know its full of the good stuff :thumbsup:

Is it safe to tap birch trees near busy roads or should i give them a miss?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Well, it contains a useful bit of Manganese like other tree saps, not much else.....

Close to roads - I guess it then also contains less usefull traces of heavy metals?

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Well, it contains a useful bit of Manganese like other tree saps, not much else.....

Close to roads - I guess it then also contains less usefull traces of heavy metals?

:wideyed:
probably a good thing that i only managed to get two thimblesfull (if that) and chucked it, other than a tiny taste with my tongue then... i thought Birch trees drew water from deep deep below ground.

if i don't survive this, you can raffle my Bushmoot ticket ;)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think a lot of people have higher expectations of Birch sap than they should, I think sometimes it's viewed as kin of the Maple tree and all's going to be delicious, alas! I think it's another one of those skills that good to have and having the experience of tapping the tree helps you understand the mechanics of it all a bit better. Event though the sap isn't all that sweet it's probably healthier than many other drinks, it's got a bit more in it than just Manganese, it's got xylitol (some might need to be wary of this but that it's rare) there's also potassium, zink, sugars etc so it should be a reasonable source of electrolytes if you're run down or been exerting yourself hard.

Not that anyone I know drinks it for that reason :D For most it's just the experience of tapping and collecting and then enjoying the fruits of their labours.... Using it as the water for a herbal tea, drinking it neat, using it as a mixer.

It's fun and great fun for kids if you're happy to teach them...

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Nice - glad I spotted this thread!

Just went out to my local woodland a tapped a couple of birch trees, buds on them just starting to form. Bottles filling nicely. Will head out again tonight to see how much I've got.
b3bf50f9714d31958275210757100a56.jpg
7361bb09cabcb61de2ba44051fc1de1d.jpg

Great stuff srod goodjob

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
People have always liked sweet. Historically, in Finno Scandinavia and northern Russia - Siberia there are only two sources of sweetness.
Honey and birch sap. Honey bees only live in the southern area, so people had to find another source. Concentrated birch sap.

As there were no proper medicines in those days, people used what they had. Placebo.
There has been quite extensive research done ( mainly in Finland) but the only useful agent found in birch sap is the Xylitol. The levels of the other minerals other than Magnesium is to low to be nutritionally of any use.

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
This was featured on a recent episode of Countryfile on BBC (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09xsp35/countryfile-shropshire), about 45mins in.

"tastes like maple syrup on steroids"

Hmmmm, I like it but that might be over selling it a little...

I've been put off this activity by the other recent thread titled "augers" with much discussion on damage done to the tree. To be honest it does feel a little like stealing from the tree, quite different to just picking the fruit. Being a home-brewer I do like the sound of leaving a bottle of sap to self ferment, however I may just save my energy for cider in the autumn.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Concentrated it tastes vaguely like a light Maple syrup.
Fermented - tastes like $hit to be frank.
Remember, in the old days, Scandinavians had a horrible relation with alcohol. Similar to the Gin drinking in UK.
As long as it was alcoholic, it was drunk.

Cider is heavenly!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Birch sap collecting, syrup and candy is big business in the Kabarovsk = Russian Far East.
Quesnel, British Columbia seems to be the center of birch products in Canada.
All of it has a smokiness reminiscent of smoldering birch bark smoke.

Canadian Paper birch can withstand a sustained yield in moderation.
You have other species which could be far more sensitive.

Best trees? Look for those in the 4-6" diameter trunk range.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
To be honest it does feel a little like stealing from the tree

Its the sort of skill i'd like to perfect for when i'm travelling by foot, stopping near a Birch, i can tap it and on waking have a good drink for breakfast to get me started for the day then moving on to the next beautiful spot... i wouldn't see it as stealing, but a gift from a tree. I'd certainly respect and thank the tree...

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Its the sort of skill i'd like to perfect for when i'm travelling by foot, stopping near a Birch, i can tap it and on waking have a good drink for breakfast to get me started for the day then moving on to the next beautiful spot... i wouldn't see it as stealing, but a gift from a tree. I'd certainly respect and thank the tree...

It's a nice idea but the window of opportunity for when the sp flows is quite small so not as practical in practice as you might hope.

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
It's a nice idea but the window of opportunity for when the sp flows is quite small so not as practical in practice as you might hope.
Well it'd have to be late March or April for sure... that's what i mean... no over-use or mass collection, unless i wanted to make a bottle of syrup to take with me when i move on... even then, the occassional gallon isn't mass collection... i like to work with nature respectfully an in rhythm with it... pure bliss.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE