Best wood burning stove for food and heat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Askel

Aug 23, 2014
Växjö, Sweden
Hi
I've been looking at wood burning stoves for a while, after using only gas canister stoves for years.
I've bought a small tipi that could be used with a fire inside, and I plan to buy a wood stove to use both for cooking (use a Toaks 750ml pot) and as just to have a controlled fire inside the tipi.
I don't really know what to get though, despite a lot of google-use.
I'm leaning towards either a Solo stove lite (heavies), a Bushbuddy (most expensive), a Toaks wood stove (tall construction)or the Vargo Hexagon titaniu. (Not a gasified stove).

All, except the last one is gasifier stoves, which I guess reduces soot and smoke.

What are the pros and cons on the above stoves. Are there any better stoves out there for my intended use?

Cheers

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Askel

Aug 23, 2014
Växjö, Sweden
I was thinking more in the line of hiking wood stoves, but Titanium Goat looked like good stoves at an ok price.

Askel

Aug 23, 2014
Växjö, Sweden
The only one I've used from your selection is the Solo Stove. Top class build quality and steel. But I thought that it was a little small for a fire stove. I used it a few times to fry on and then used a couple of times just to heat water before thinking that it was way too much bother to boil water and it has sat here at home since.

Still, there's nothing wrong with it if you can do all your stuff with a fire that size and there's always the option to put in a meth burner as a back-up or change of fire source. If I took mine out again, I'd probably take the Trangia burner with me.

Yeah I'm leaning most towards the Solo stove (despite it being the heaviest and me being a somewhat lightweight hiker). I emailed Jeff at Bushbuddy and apparently my 750ml Toaks pot is to narrow for the Bushbuddy, which means that one goes. I don't want to have to change pot, as the 750ml is perfect for my use.
I plan to use the lid of a tuna can as solid fuel stove to use inside when I can't get a fire started.

Is it the Light or the Titan-version you have? If yours is just laying at home, would you be interested in selling it? 😏
But if you live in UK I guess shipping cost would be pretty high since I live in Sweden.

Askel

Aug 23, 2014
Växjö, Sweden
Mine is the Solo Stove Lite. Yes, it's just sitting here but, as you say, it wouldn't be worthwhile sending it to Sweden. Perhaps you could get one on eBay or the like. Maybe even keep an eye to the forums as there are always stoves and the like for sale.

I actually ordered an AliExpress stove for ~15€ just now. Sort of like the Solo Stove, but you can fold it in half. I've seen some YouTube reviews of them and they seem to be descent enough. Weighs 400g so it's heavier than all the others, but I guess it's good to start with. If I get hooked I'll probably do as with all my other gear and upgrade to better stuff along the way.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Ah, I thought you were after an enclosed fire / fire box with a flue for a hot tent setup.

I've got a Chinese knock off bush buddy type gasifying stove for around 12 a few years ago which is still going quite strongly. Again it can be teamed up with a meths stove for when I can't be bothered to forage for twigs.

I'd be wary of having an open fire [even a contained one] within an enclosed tent.

edit
////////////

I can also fit the gasifying stove [with a trianga meths stove, matches, lighter, ferro rod & striker] and a 12cm billy can [with a few packets of rice/ dried pasta/ cuppa soup] in a british army water bottle/ utility pouch. This makes a fairly compact cook kit to grab which has everything in for a day [or two even]

Last edited:

Askel

Aug 23, 2014
Växjö, Sweden
@mousey

Maybe we bought the same model. I bought this one:
http://s.aliexpress.com/UBRRjimQ

Yeah, I know there are risks about an open fire inside, and even though Tentipi says it's ok, I'll use caution.

I am looking for an enclosed stove too, mostly for my 6p Helsport Lavvu that I have for family camping. I liked Titanium goat, but since neither Tentipi nor Helsport uses stovejacks, but insulated double wall pipes near the exit at the top (at least to my knowledge) I don't know if they can be used together.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I find that the double-wall construction of the gasifier types limits the amount of heat they trow out. Of course it concentrates it up towards your cooking, so it's great that way, but they're not as warm to sit beside. For that reason I use the Honey stove.

Then the bother with using a flue-less stove in a teepee is that you have to have the ventilation open wide, which limits the effectiveness of the fire. And you have to leave it open even after the fire goes out, since embers can produce significant carbon monoxide hours after the fire seems to be extinguished.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE