Become a master of fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Hi

Mors Kochanski's book: Bushcraft has a rather impressive section on firemaking. But I don't think you can expect the fire to last all night without feeding it. If you dress lightly (bad sleeping bag for instance) you will wake up every time it gets too cold. Then you just put more wood on the fire and keep it going.

Russia, eh? Where? I have this thing for Siberia, would very much like to live there. Especially in Taimyr or somewhere close by there.

Jan 29, 2007
SWEDEN
www.jlw.se
torjusg said:
Hi

Mors Kochanski's book: Bushcraft has a rather impressive section on firemaking. But I don't think you can expect the fire to last all night without feeding it. If you dress lightly (bad sleeping bag for instance) you will wake up every time it gets too cold. Then you just put more wood on the fire and keep it going.

Russia, eh? Where? I have this thing for Siberia, would very much like to live there. Especially in Taimyr or somewhere close by there.

Thanks for the booktip! I will check it out. Do you know if there is color photographs in that book?

Im not from Russia. Im from Sverige. Ete måke! :)

Just checked you blog. May I ask how often an animal is in our trap? :morpheus:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
blodsugare said:
Thanks for the booktip! I will check it out. Do you know if there is color photographs in that book?

Im not from Russia. Im from Sverige. Ete måke! :)

Just checked you blog. May I ask how often an animal is in our trap? :morpheus:

No colour photographs there, but good illustrations anyway.

Sweden. I see.

No squirrels yet this season and this is the first time I have used deadfalls. Previously I have caught them in gins.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I've found some very good information in two books from The Society of Primitive Technology. They compiled articles from their quarterly newsletters into two books: Primitivie Technology: A book of Earth Skills, and Primitive Technology II: Ancestral Skills. Their focus is on aboriginal skills, before discovery of iron and modern fibers/weaving. They have a lot of info on fire starting, and most of it will fit right in with more modern methods and materials. A search will lead you to their web site - I can't find my link at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Mike Ameling

Feb 13, 2006
suffolk
If youre interested in different methods of lighting as well as general management there is a selection of Ray mears books i could reccommend, but also suggest you look up Fire by Dan Hume. Its fascinating. Theres a technique from the far east where you whack a certain type of bamboo with a bit of broken crockery and it makes sparks! I grew up just down the road from him, dropped by this morning and he showed me- lit a bit of charcloth on the 6th strike! All sorts of stuff in that book :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE