Baseball caps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have worn one once in my life and thought 'this isn't for me'. But, someone just mentioned to me how handy they are for lending structure to the hood of your jacket when it is coming down stair rods.

Anyone wear them? What makes a good one and a less good one? What is a bad one? Or, is it more or less wysiwyg? :)

Some of them have peaks with severely turned down sides is all I know. Oh, and that a trucker's cap isn't the same thing

Also that I am looking at a price range between $6 and $44 :lol:

Last edited:

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
They're brilliant in poor weather as you said to add structure to a hood without getting in the way.
Also keeps the sun and rain out of your face.
Great if you need to wear hearong protection as well.

As to what makes a good one or a bad one it's just down to the fit, materials and how well its made. I'd just look around for a few in some shops and see what you like or don't like.
If you dont mind how they look you can find some with a flap for the neck and sometimes neck and ears to keep the sun off.
There's also some military caps or "deer stalker" caps that are essentially baseball caps with fold down fleece for extra warmth.
The german and finnish army serviced wool field caps which look AWESOME once worn in. The same principle as above applies essentially being able to be turned into balaclavas although they look ridiculous in that configuration.
I'm sure a truckers cap is a baseball cap with the back half being made of mesh.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Billy-o

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I wear one with most of my waterproofs as the hoods are poorly designed or built for the military. I like Janne cringe at the headgear wearing inside, unnecessary.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
They’re not for me either, I did try. I wear glasses, so need a hood that doesn’t cinch around my face so choose jackets that are wired or have a peaked hood. Only baseball cap I’ve almost liked is the Amazonas Tarp version. If you’re shopping from there, grab a bifold wallet, they’re pretty nice.

https://www.tarphat.co.uk/products/2/eco-canvas-baseball-caps/

They also do a natty Castro cap.

https://www.tarphat.co.uk/products/4/Military-Castro-Tarp-Eco-Cap/17/Castro-Military-Cap

You could look at flat caps too, many have enough of a peak to structure a hood. IMO, hats need for the wearer to “grow” into them, mentally I mean. I was quite self conscious of my wide brim Amazonas hat for ages, but it’s now a trusty friend.

Reactions: Billy-o

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Baseball caps are not me and I think that they look pretty awful on anyone...
However - a Kepi/Castro cap or a German M43 in winter is me - and do everything a Baseball cap can and more.
I use a kepi (mainly when for driving as it does not get in the way of head restraints) in summer - otherwise it is my faithful Tilley T3 to keep off sun and rain and the German cap for winter wear.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Guess I'm a fan as I find them perfect for deerstalking. It's not that I don't like a nice brimmed hat but a baseball cap in the right materials and cut stays on in a strong wind, won't fall off when leaning forward and absorbs sweat far better!

K

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've got a faded, old Lowe Alpine cap, made of poly-cotton, which always finds its way into my pack and thence on to my head. Being a glasses wearer, the peak keeps the rain off really well when combined with a hood, it keeps the sun out of my eyes, it absorbs sweat pretty well - not to Tilley hat standards - and dries quickly. So, in the outdoors, I'd say it was almost one of those unnoticed indispensibles.

That said, I hardly ever wear hats for pottering about and never as a fashion statement; I was also told that wearing a hat indoors was the height of ill manners. This extended to the threat that anyone wearing a hat indoors would have to buy the next round of drinks...

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I wear a hat indoors, in my own home, and in large enclose public space - shopping centres [although I'm rarely in one of those as the nearest is 50 odd miles away :)] and the like. I usually wear one in the car, at certain times of the year, the sun is just in the right place to be fully in the eyes where the internal sun shade visor thing can't block but a brimmed hat can.

Never really got on with baseball caps. I have a number of full brimmed hats, large brim, small brim, some a little floppy some stiff, some for warm some for cold.
Never really got on with hoods either, reduce my hearing too much for my liking.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
The german and finnish army serviced wool field caps which look AWESOME once worn in.

Yes.

I think Nice65 is right about coming to terms with them. I feel pretty self conscious in a hat at the best of times. But, I got to say a German army field cap does look dead dapper :) And you can see the character of it would just grow and grow over time. Maybe I'll take some baby steps in that direction. For autumn gardening at first, and then work up :)

I see the Fjallraven Helags, but that is $50 ... well made, I suspect, but still. There's a tough looking Carhartt one, but it looks like it might be assembled from carpet, kevlar and baling wire. I like a 'Radar' style US Army jeep cap too, but not much peak to that, though I predict I might just get one anyway, for the hell of it.

I have this secret worry (well, not so secret now) that peaked and brimmed hats make you go bald .. or, is that just wearing them indoors? :lol:

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Tilleys do not fall or blow off and absorb LOTS of sweat ... and protect the back of your neck from sun and rain....:)

I’ve been having a great deal of trouble with the price of the Tilleys. I can usually, over a period of a few days, convince myself I can justify a purchase. But £70!

So when a sale came up with 20% off, I took the plunge. The T3 Wanderer is an absolute belter, nicely distressed, immediately comfortable. Not sure it’ll be great in heavy rain, but fine for showers.

Completely off topic Billy-o, sorry. :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have 2 Tilleys - but have worn out 6... each of which have been replaced free of charge (except genuine postage costs) there-by making each hat less than 10 quid in real terms :)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have 2 Tilleys - but have worn out 6... each of which have been replaced free of charge (except genuine postage costs) there-by making each hat less than 10 quid in real terms :)
I have two Tilleys too, basically went over to a Tilley cos I have worn out so many felt hats. Got one of those leather bush hats too, but I think it is a bit of cliche these days.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I've got a faded, old Lowe Alpine cap, made of poly-cotton, which always finds its way into my pack and thence on to my head. Being a glasses wearer, the peak keeps the rain off really well when combined with a hood, it keeps the sun out of my eyes, it absorbs sweat pretty well - not to Tilley hat standards - and dries quickly. So, in the outdoors, I'd say it was almost one of those unnoticed indispensibles.

That said, I hardly ever wear hats for pottering about and never as a fashion statement; I was also told that wearing a hat indoors was the height of ill manners. This extended to the threat that anyone wearing a hat indoors would have to buy the next round of drinks...
Lowe Alpine is my winter staple, I would not call it a baseball cap by any description though. Tilley Hat for summer, and a Top Hat for the opera :)

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Got one of those leather bush hats too, but I think it is a bit of cliche these days.

Agreed! Perhaps it's time for another "The Latest Bushcraft Uniform" thread? That said a Bison Bushcraft plaid shirt is hardly cutting edge or particularly imaginative if to be the Swandri Bush Shirt replacement.

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE