Axe Making Course 20th June

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've got a group axe making course next weekend and I have a space that could do with filling :) So before I offer it to the Facebook masses, I thought I would see if anybody here would like to come along next weekend! :You_Rock_

The course will be held in my woods in Devon (Cheriton Bishop, near Exeter) and will be using my Saxon/Roman forges, hand tools and your own raw skill. It's a 2 day course, the first day will involve forging a piece of spring steel into the shape that you desire before heat treating it in the traditional manner using the forge. The second day will see you carve and fit a handle from some of my own well seasoned ash, before taking your new chopper out for a test drive on some innocent looking lumps of wood :yikes:

Here are a few pictures from recent axemaking courses to give you some ideas of what to expect...

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

We all start with the similar sized lumps (400-600g usually), but what you do with it is your call. It can be a small camp hatchet, a carving axe, tomahawk, throwing axe or an adze!

Cost of the course is £200 for the weekend, all materials included and is run over the 20th-21st of June (ie NEXT weekend!). You are of course welcome to camp in my woods, but I also have a list of nearby b&bs. Only 1 place available, so let me know ASAP if you would like to come!

Many thanks

dave

Attachments

• arthur_green04.jpg
    arthur_green04.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 74
  • andy axes0010.jpg
    andy axes0010.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 76
  • july1.jpg
    july1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 76
  • june 20112.jpg
    june 20112.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 75
  • july10110026.jpg
    july10110026.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I wish I could take the time out to come down again Dave.
Worth every penny and still using the little axe I made, when I'm not showing it off that is!
To anyone thinking of signing up for this: DO IT NOW!
All the best,
Simon

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Place now filled :)

For those thinking that they have missed out for the year, I have a week long course in September that combines the axe making and knife making courses into one fun filled stay in the woods! 5 days of forgework and handle making/fitting, followed by an optional day to make leather sheathes to fit the new toys. Bushcraft Tools course, 7th-11th September £500 (or £600 with the 6th day). Still a few places left on that one

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks and sounds amazing Mr Budd, one day when I have the money I'd love to put my name down. Glad you filled the space and I hope you all have a stonking time.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE