Article: Building a small cooking fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
When out and about I often find huge fire scars from where people have lit large camp fires and always despair at the damage and the wastefulness of such a large fire.

So I thought while I was out in the woods, I'd take some pictures of a simple camp fire that's big enough to cook over without needing to deforest half of Kent.

In order to give a sense of size I've put 4 pegs in marking a the corners of a square one Bahco Laplander(folded) by one Bahco Laplander(folded) each side. Or if you prefer 235mm x 235mm (approx 9¼" x 9¼" in old money). That's an area of 0.0552m² (or 0.594ft²).

I started off by laying a raft of small logs, these are roughly an inch or so in width.

XT1A1769_sm.JPG

Then I prepared a 4 piles of wood. The first is wood less than a pencil's width in thickness, then we have finger thickness, then thumb thickness, than a few pieces that were slightly larger.

XT1A1767_sm.JPG

XT1A1768_sm.JPG

Materials prepared and ready to go, I arranged a small pile on the raft. This consisted of a couple of pieces of birch bark I found on fallen tree, and some wood shavings, with a handful of the thinnest wood on top of that.

XT1A1770_sm.JPG

With everything prepared, I lit a tinderquik fire tab with a spark from my sparklite. This was then placed into the centre of the wood shavings and birch bark.

XT1A1771_sm.JPG

It didn't take long for the bark to catch the small kindling.

XT1A1773_sm.JPG

With the fire well lit I fed it with material from the piles, working up in size as each pile was exhausted. I also put a tatonka 1L billy can over the fire with the 0.5L of water needed to make a mug of tea.

XT1A1774_sm.JPG

In some respects this fire was a little over kill for the size of the pot I was boiling, but I wanted the ember bed for use later to cook a jacket potato.

XT1A1777_sm.JPG

But it didn't take long for the pot to come to the boil.

XT1A1778_sm.JPG

With the tea stewing, the fire starts to die down a bit. At this point if I was cooking something abit more substantial I could feed some more into to keep it going. But if not, just leaving it to burn down at this point, before dowsing it in water when ready to move away would work.

XT1A1781_sm.JPG

How much fuel did this small fire use? Not much. I used all of the pencil thin pile, half of the finger pile, and a few pieces from the bigger pile.

XT1A1784_sm.JPG

XT1A1785_sm.JPG

Tea drunk, we built the fire up a bit in order to cook 2 meals. The same basic size was maintained, but we added a larger log on each side to give it some structure, and piled a few of the thicker logs on. The log on the right of the picture is let over from a previous fire on this site.

XT1A1790_sm.JPG

All in all this 0.0552m² fire was used to cook a pot of baked beans, a pair of lamb burgers, a jacket potatoe and 1L of chicken stew. As well as a couple of mugs of tea, and a tin of charcloth. It then provided us with a fire to sit by on the chilly (0°C) evening as we enjoyed the woods.

Some times a big fire is the right thing to do. But most of the time a small fire is just the trick. It even comes with the added advantage that you don't need to collect as much firewood. The only tool I used for the processing of wood on this fire was the Bahco Laplander.

Cheers

J

PS I appreciate I'm preaching to the perverted on this forum, but I wrote this for publication elsewhere and thought it may be useful/of interest here.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Even a small fire with reflector will give good heat to keep you warm.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Kephart said your fire needn't be bigger than your hat. Something I've always tried to abide by. Nice post though and I agree the amount of times I've found tree trunk sized logs half burnt accompanied with huge fire scars is depressing.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a good, clearly explained and illustrated, write up Julia :approve: Nicely done :)

Hot, glowing embers make a great cooking fire, and I agree there's no need to burn a forest just to boil a cuppa or make dinner.

I like the sparklite too; it's small, tidy and very, very reliable. A very handy bit of kit :D

Thank you for the post.

cheers,
M

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I have seen to many fire scars, I personally have stopped having fires and just use sticks on a hexi platform or in a Ghillie stove bottom. Just because my local woods are full of half burnt logs.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Good report J, and sound advice. Keeps things unobtrusive too.

While admittedly not providing much warmth other than to the cooking vessels, or flames to stare into, a small star fire can be an effective option:

2015-12-19%20006.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
PS I appreciate I'm preaching to the perverted on this forum, but I wrote this for publication elsewhere and thought it may be useful/of interest here.

Not at all, articles like this are invaluable reminders and I don't think we've had one like this before. The thing to remember is that we have a lot of new member sand a lot of visitors that really don't know lot of stuff about fires etc.

So, anything like this is great for us to read and take note of
Thanks for taking the time goodjob

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
You can not see it very well in the pic, but behind my burgers and beans , I did add 3 or 4 logs to act as a reflector.
It worked very well.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
A nice little write up and I think it is something that cannot be emphasised enough, ‘A fire only needs to be as big as it needs to be’ anything bigger is poor bush craft and evidence left of the poor bush craft is poorer bush craft still.

D.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE