Are Tarps the marmite of the camping world?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm on forums for other outdoor activities and a recent discussion on tents vs tarps came up. I'm sure you've read enough discussions on the midge problem with tarps to not want to discuss it again, but it seems to me that a lot of people rule tarps out without trying it first. It's like marmite in that respect, people don't like it without trying it.

It's personal choice but why not find out first hand?

Are there any other pieces of kit that instill such a view in people? Are hammocks similar in this respect? I don't think so but then hammocks are something I want to try. I'm the sort who knows I don't like marmite but will try it anyway. I think that's a good approach to a lot of things (not all things though).

Any views on this?

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I though I'd try and 'reduce weight' and try out tarping and hammocking instead of tenting.

'Orrid.'

Not only open to the elements (and midges etc) but colder, AND, not really much in the way of weight saving.

My 3x3 DD Tarp weighs in at just over 1kg (with guy lines and 4 Alu pegs) add in straps etc and its approaching 1.5 kg, the hammock weighs 0.65 kgs.

My tent (Tent, flysheet, poles, guys, pegs, ground sheet) weighs 1.65 kgs and my inflatable mattress weighs 0.46 kgs

Total weight virtually identical for both systems, but comfort & security levels much higher for the tent option.

I tried Tarping (only) by making various shelters from simple V shelters to all enclosed 'floor & door', but with the open versions had the same problems, and, with the closed versions, almost drowned in condensation and was very uncomfortable.

I have tried the 'marmite' and don't like it.
I have tried the 'strawberries & cream' and I like it.

Other opinions are available.

I think that there are reasons that housing has developed in this country to include, a roof AND walls, other countries can quite happily get by with just a 'Tikki-Hut', but, not for me.

Reactions: Artic Bob

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've camped in tents, just a bivi bag, tarps on the ground and tarps with hammocks. For me Tarp and hammock for comfort. Light weight would be tarp on ground [as you can get a way with a smaller tarp].

I don't really like tents anymore as they are too enclosing - although for a midday nap a polish poncho tent [or any other dark canvas tent] is awesome. I'm lucky as midges have never really bothered me, maybe I'm just not sensitive and have too thick skin or my blood is just not tasty to them?

I think the biggest myth of hammocking is saving weight, as you can take everything you take hammock camping and just leave the hammock and sleep on the ground. The big advantage to Hammocking is the comfort and as long as there are trees the easy of finding a place to camp, not a problem on uneven ground on slopes over stones, tree roots etc.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I tarp, tent and hammock - they each have a place depending on the environment. I confess I like nothing more than waking under a tarp with a view out over the countryside (even with a slight frost in my hair) or going to sleep with a fire crackling in view. There's a freshness about not being enclosed that appeals to me (but, I do appreciate, not everybody).

I think, without doubt, the biggest like/hate marmite approach I have found with others is in their choice of axe; apparently if it isn't endorsed by RM it's no good :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to tent - but now find them too claustrophobic (except on crowded commercial campsites): I used to ground dwell but now find getting up too difficult - Tarps and hammocks or "stretcher beds" all the way for me!

Artic Bob

Feb 1, 2018
Marches
i like sleeping under a tarp or with just a bivvy bag - as has been mentioned, waking up outside to a gorgeous view is one of the great pleasures of life - but as i get older and more attached to comfort and idleness, i find that a tarp/bivvy trip can be a lot of aggro if the weather isn't perfect, or at least fairly perfect.

the weight thing is also one of the drivers in this - tarp, bivvy bag, pegs, bungees and cord all mount up, but i've got a 1 man tent that tops out at about 1kg, and a two man that hits two, and in anything other than dry weather with little wind and no midges, the tents are a great deal more comfortable...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Another debate seems to be Softshell vs hardshell jackets.

Anything really where there is a bit of theory, lots of variables depending on local conditions, environment, body type and size, age, and intentions...and it costs some significant coin to try different systems of comparably good quality.

For instance, in contrast to Alan De Enfield's experience of tent vs tarp & hammock, my Vaude tent, with a Gen 1 NeoAir, weighs 2915g while my hammock, hex tarp, straps, strings, 6 pegs and synthetic under quilt weighs 2031g. I find that the hammock is MUCH more comfortable for me than any ground sleeping arrangement, short of a cot. Drier too.

I am still looking for a shelter that is light, bug proof, and provides adequate living space in windy wet weather.

Maybe the answer is to start as my mum does, with a Marmite sandwich, then chase it down with bread and Marmalade! Pair a light tent with a light tarp.

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
I'm happy with a tarp or a tent, if I'm hill walking its a tent (or bothy) usually and if I'm scampering off to the woods I tend to tarp it, they're more versatile than a tent. I don't have a hammock although I'll get one at some point, happy enough on the ground. I don't risk my dog in a small tent either, have taken the dogs away camping in our big tent but if I take a mutt camping its a tarp set up so he can plod about, he seems to think he's there as a guard dog.

As for the 'marmite' thing, whatever works for an individual, I don't get bent out of shape if someone has strong views on something that doesn't really affect me. If someone feel the need to 'hate' or 'love' something, fine, crack on, don't expect me to jump on your bandwagon though.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
A discussion is always good as we need to hear and contemplate the opposing side's views. And learn from it.

I always did a tent, or a natural 'roof' type a pine with overhanging branches close to the ground, until I came upon the idea of a tarp on this side ( years before I registered).

I think the difference is simple: A tent is more 'enclosing' and removes you from the lethal, wild beasies that roam the outside nighttime.
A tarp - you are closer to nature. Even the mozzies think so. They prefer tarps without nets.

In summer, I always wake up very early, very sweaty in a tent.
Sleep like a baby under a tarp, or just plainly under the stars.

I say - try it all, and choose what you prefer!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chomp

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I do the lot bar bivi bags on the ground. I don’t like to give bugs and slugs easy access. I do own a Goretex army bivibag, but it’s saved for windy hammock camping.

Belltent, lightweight 2 man Vango, hammocks, whatever suits really. Even if I use the tents, I still usually have a lightweight tarp with me for extra cover if needed.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Tried tents and hate them! Too enclosed, I enjoy being out in the open, sleeping under the stars and don’t get bothered with midges. That’s what repellents for. It’s 50/50 with me either using a basha or just a bivi bag on its own.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I grew up as a tent camper in wilderness sites of northern Canada.
Blood loss from a night dining with the bugs will cure the hammock in you.

Hammocks look like bear-sized pita breads to me.

I learned that a tent with a floor is good to keep out the snakes, wombats and bull ants in the Outback.
Keeps out the sand and the wind for nights on Wilson's Promontory ( Vic., OZ)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
See I'm right it's marmite of the outdoors world!

I've tented and taped but not hammocked yet. Can't justify buying a hammock because most wildcamping was in the lakes on the open fells. Not many hammock friendly trees there. Would like to try at least once. I own a silk hammock for car camp sites as a place to relax by the tent.

I chose tarp and bivvy because at 2.6+ kg my two man tent was too heavy and bulky for solo use. I got a 1.5kg single skin tent but after an 11 day jaunt I got sick of condensation. All perfectly manageable with a quick dry towel while still in a bivvy bag. However with bivvy bag it worked out 2.1kg.

So I looked around and found I couldn't afford anything lighter. The heavy 2 man cost £150, the 2 man single skin cost £100 and I got the tarp for £50 which weighed about 600g. So tarp and bivvy 1.2kg. At the time a laser tent was the lightest but was 1.2kg or a margin less. So trekking poles I already carried so both tent I couldn't afford and tarp/bivvy I could afford weigh the same all in. So I got what I could afford and learnt how to get the best from it / learn how to cope with any inadequacies.

At the end of the day cost was my driver towards tarp. I'm glad I had little spare cash now. However I don't see any shelter system has the killer benefit to make me assert one is better than the others. They're all tools to let you stay out in the hills longer. That's a plus IMHO.

Paramo "waterproofs vs membrane waterproofs? Divides opinion too.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I've noticed ground dwellers that tried hammocks and didn't like it tend to be the most vocal in telling everyone how crap hammocks are. No one is trying to force them lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE