Anyone spotted the whales in the Firth of Forth ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cracking photos that fellow managed with them rising in front of Edinburgh Castle :)
Not all that long ago folks would have been out there and the whales would have been several hundred gallons of oil in jig time.

I rather like the thought that we didn't kill them all, and that they are, like the salmon, coming back :D

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Cracking photos that fellow managed with them rising in front of Edinburgh Castle :)
Not all that long ago folks would have been out there and the whales would have been several hundred gallons of oil in jig time.

I rather like the thought that we didn't kill them all, and that they are, like the salmon, coming back :D

M

Yep, truly one of nature's fantastic sights. I thought the photos looked almost surreal; like something from a sci-fi movie :)
Unfortunately the one I saw didn't break but it did have a calf with it.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I overlook a harbour in the North East and fairly regularly see dolphins - mostly see them when walking the dogs along the coast at stupid o'clock in the morning. Only seen whales twice. I've also seen [heard more like :)] the Seaking helicopter fly over the house and proceed to search the bay on a number of occasions - mostly on training exercises thankfully, a couple of occasions hoaxes, more rarely an actual call out. All of these sights are things to behold, are memorable and get the kids shouting to look out the window - even fishing boats coaming in and out of the harbour are an event for the kids to watch and get excited about :)

Reactions: Toddy

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
If I lived up in Scotland, I would be out on my paddle board! I know that there is quite a large SUP contingency up there so it wouldn't surprise me if others had the same thinking.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
There used to be two Minke whales but that's about 15 years ago. I've seen FB posts of sightings though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE