Anyone making Knife Makers marking stencils in the UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arnzzz

Sep 20, 2017
Swansea
Hello

I'm looking for someone to make a etching stencil who is preferably in the UK so the turnaround is faster.

I've emailed one guy based in the USA, but I imagine that will take weeks to arrive.

I'm looking for a really simple stencil. It will be just text, no fancy logo.

So, does anyone know anyone in the UK who can make these etching stencils?

I'll probably invest in the kit eventually, but cannot at this time.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
http://www.ums.co.uk/photographic-stencils-and-die-impression-p6
Universal Marking Systems is where I got my stencil made, and all my etch solutions. The minimum order for etch solution is a litre, and you need different sorts for black mark on carbon steel, etch mark on carbon steel, and marking stainless steel, I also got a neutraliser and a stencil cleaner. Although stencils do wear out, I have had what I consider quite a few marks from the first impression, haven't started on the others that came on the sheet. Do find it annoying though that I can't do things like mark steel type nice and neatly. I can see the benefit to that printer, but I am not convinced that it would really be cost effective unless you are making enough stuff to be marked, with enough variation in marking.

For reference, I got my stencil and much of my solutions sometime not long before Feb 2007. Although solution has a use by date, I haven't had a problem using the same batch, or indeed, the truly ancient solution that came with the second hand industrial etcher I picked up. I wonder whether the Brother and associated tape would still be good after so long.

It is also worth pointing out that the stencils do not work as a resist if you simply use ferric chloride etchant, it gets under them and makes a mess. They only work if you have the kit to do electrical etching. I have seen people use battery chargers and cotton buds with salt water solution, not a great look, but possibly better than my attempts with beeswax and a 0.5mm pencil scriber.

Phil_B

Nov 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Once again the Tube of You comes to the rescue:

Laser toner is actually powdered plastic resin material so once it is printed and applied to the blade, it will act as a temporary coating that will form the stencil.

If you want it mirrored, hit the PRTSC button when you have the logo on the screen and it takes a snapshot of the scren. paste it into a graphics package (Paint is ideal) and flip it to give the mirrored pattern.

Insert that into a document as a picture and print it.

Easy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE