A question for the motorcyclists....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I went down my my local motorbike shop today to be me a new 500cc trail bike, something along the lines of an XT500 or DRZ400. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that such bikes are no longer available, the only things the salesman could offer were overweight 1000cc "adventure bikes" or 250cc kiddie bikes! Whatever happened to the mid sized thumpers that were once so popular?

Reactions: cbrdave

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Yamaha XT660 or if you wanted to be a bit retro the Royal Enfield 500 trials road version is available new.

BMW F 650 ?

Last edited:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
XT660 is no longer on the Yamaha site and the F650 is a hipster road bike. I want a good old fashioned naked trail bike and there doesn't seem to be anything available.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
There will be old stock XT660's in showrooms you just have to look

The choice does seem to be between true off road crossers like the Honda CRFs and big adventure bikes.

What about a KTM 690 or CCM 640?

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
The CCM 450 looks interesting and the abs on the KTM is tempting. Also looking at ex army Armstrongs... But none are as good looking as a XT500..,

garethw

Settler
That's a pity I learned to ride & passed my test on an XT600.
I guess it's a bit like real off road 4x4's, the powers that be have decided we don't need cars with real off road abilities these days.
So I guess we don't need fun, mono cylinder dirt bikes either...

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Had one - not without their issues - but does fit your criteria. There is a great owners club see "MT owners" forum. Lots of opportunities for fettling but not a ride and forget machine. Beware minuscule reserve - if you can't see a petrol station when you run out of main your stuffed!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
The F650 is really capable and a lot of people are taking them all over the world now on some serious off road trails. I've currently got a Tiger 800 which is probably bigger than you need but I'm totally in love with it, haven't had a chance to take it off road properly yet though. The KTMs do some really nice mid range bikes. Also if you wait a while there is are several small-midrange bikes on the calendar to be released in the near future as many manufacturers are realising that not everyone wants a huge adventure bike.

Failing that go onto youtube, watch Ed March's C90 adventures and buy yourself a cub :D

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
While smaller capacity, they are still lots of fun and not insane money - Kawasaki KLX250.
Skimilar to the Kawasaki - Honda CRF250L
Lots of money, lots of fun - KTM 500 EXC-F

Or buy a proper off-road bike and get it modified to be road legal.

There are options... they might not look like the past or have nostalgia but they are capable machines.

Personally I'll stick to my faired comfy road bike.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Last time I bought a new bike was in 1990 !!

Currently I have a 2001 Honda Africa Twin which I ride and go everywhere on. There is a 1999 Kawasaki ZX7R in the garage which has been laid up ever since I got the AT and I still intend to put the ZX14 front end and ZX10R swingarm on that and take it around Cadwell Park. Lastly there is a 2005 Chinese Chituma Hongdu GY200 pining away behind the ZX7R. The ignition barrel fell to bits and I only bought it to practice wheelies on as I wasn't going to risk decking the ZX7R.

All are my projects in some way. The AT is tweaks to make it more usable on tours and rallies so fitting extra lights, storage solutions and comfort stuff. The ZX7R will be for track excursions. And if I sort the GY200 out it will be for general arsing around in the dirt.

My other hobby is home engineering (lathe, mill, shaper) as well as bushcrafting. Enough with these three pursuits to keep me happy 'til I pop my clogs!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Had about 12 bikes now of all sorts, I loved my Bandit and the ZZR100 for a fully faired road bike but none of them have been a patch on my Tiger 800 in terms of comfort and versatility.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
I second the Africa twin bob great bike bit too hi for me with my legs but I recently went on a 500ccwhen I went for a cbt a couple of weeks ago to refresh my riding skills totally different ride nowadays

Reactions: MCNZ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE