50? 100? mW laser.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Architekton

Dec 17, 2017
London
hi all,

Any knowledge on good places to get a laser pointer? Something like a 2 AAA size maybe and around 50-100mW.

Im no expert so I don’t really know what/where to look. One thing i dint need is wierd shape or multi beam pointers. Just a typical pointer.

Cheers

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
hi all,

Any knowledge on good places to get a laser pointer? Something like a 2 AAA size maybe and around 50-100mW.

Im no expert so I don’t really know what/where to look. One thing i dint need is wierd shape or multi beam pointers. Just a typical pointer.

Cheers

Are you sure you want something that powerful? My own laser pointer, which works perfectly well in a typical presentation room, is nowhere near 50 to 100mW; I think it's nearer 1mW.

You can buy 100mW modules but they tend to be used for industrial application in my experience.

Reactions: Sundowner

Architekton

Dec 17, 2017
London
Hi and thanks for the reply

From the videos ive seen maybe indeed 100is a killer but 50 (if its real rating) is ok.
It has the ppower to interact with other things and even set things on fire.

For presentation I too use whatever pointer we get free on conferences hehe
Of course i dont want something huge with an industrialist heatsink :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ah, so it's not a laser pointer you want but a laser module. The 50mW and 100mW units I have used in the past (experimental laser range finding) all had quite hefty power supplies and heatsinks I'm afraid; but that was some time ago.

Hopefully someone on here will have more up to date experience.

Reactions: Architekton

Architekton

Dec 17, 2017
London
Ah, so it's not a laser pointer you want but a laser module. The 50mW and 100mW units I have used in the past (experimental laser range finding) all had quite hefty power supplies and heatsinks I'm afraid; but that was some time ago.

Hopefully someone on here will have more up to date experience.

You are probably correct, i bet most of the advertised 50mw are 10 real :)
My engineering knowledge is missing optics and laser efficiency for sure.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You are probably correct, i bet most of the advertised 50mw are 10 real :)
My engineering knowledge is missing optics and laser efficiency for sure.

I have a couple of the advertised (Chinese websites) 50mw that are probably 10 or less. Still extremely bright for use as a pointer, my best green one has the kaleidoscopic heads and works best when the beam is split into bits and shone into campfire smoke. The Chinese sites have had to make restrictions on power due to user abuse.

Got a red one a few years ago that runs on an 18650 battery and easily pops balloons or makes holes in Stihl chainsaw trousers ;)

Anything from 5mw will sort you for pointers, there's some reading here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...n-safety-advice/laser-radiation-safety-advice

Be really careful with any of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Architekton

Architekton

Dec 17, 2017
London
I have a couple of the advertised (Chinese websites) 50mw that are probably 10 or less. Still extremely bright for use as a pointer, my best green one has the kaleidoscopic heads and works best when the beam is split into bits and shone into campfire smoke. The Chinese sites have had to make restrictions on power due to user abuse.

Got a red one a few years ago that runs on an 18650 battery and easily pops balloons or makes holes in Stihl chainsaw trousers ;)

Anything from 5mw will sort you for pointers, there's some reading here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...n-safety-advice/laser-radiation-safety-advice

Be really careful with any of them.

Thanks a lot.
Any pointers towards site that at least a cen got something ok? (Compared to the advertised..)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE