4x4 sprinter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
So it's getting time to sell my short wheel base g-wagon which is a fun toy just for me and buy something family orientated, I was thinking either a long wheel base defender with roof top tent type thingy, or a 4x4 sprinter and giving it a camper conversion (diy I'm not made of money)

Has anyone real experience with a 4x4 sprinter? Driving difficulties such as low bridges? Would it be additional cost on ferries etc? I'm looking for any issues that I might not be aware of from owning such a strange vehicle!

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
I'm looking into a defender myself; wouldnt call it family orientated, they are possibly the most uncomfortable ride available (except for a camel that doesnt like you), have only driven about ~80 miles in them, and i cant see them getting more comfortable with time lol but i still want one

also worth looking into the tax status (many are top rate), and future legislation which might even see them taken off the road completely...info and specifics seem limited, but either way they are going to become very expensive to use on public roads very quickly

also I averaged about 24mpg the short time i had with one :eek:

i've only looked into defenders, but I would expect the same issues (apart from comfort) will apply to most big SUVs running on diesel, esp if not modern models which account for emission limits

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Hi,
dont have any experience with a sprinter. I have had several Landrovers including 3 defenders and a series IIIand loved them but not necessarily family friendly at least according to my other half!! A discovery though is another matter - lots of folk have called them the thinking mans defender - much the same capability but a hell of a lot more comfortable. I've got a disco II td5 - these are now fairly cheap (obviously good one cost more) at least a lot cheaper than a similar year defender and depending on model will seat up to 7 so plenty of room for the family. And you can still have your roof tent! Plus, should you need to, you can fold down the rear seats and hey presto, you have a very large capacity van!

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Large vans get hammered on ferries. Sprinter although fast, rely on computers for its survival. If they have been used badly, worked hard and not nursed throughout the years. They become very expensive to put right and are susceptible to tin rott. 4x4 sprinters are usually better looked after. Ex police, services etc. They are spacious and if a good DIY camper conversion is done, they hold their money. Saying that. Unless you keep it and use it for many years. The conversion will set you back and you can't put a price on the hours it takes to convert one yourself. Changing the classification from commercial to motorhome is straightforward with a few mandatory requirements. Then it's class 4 MOT often cheaper on insurance than a commercial policy.

Sparky750

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2015
Merseyside
A colleague has had a 4x4 sprinter for the past few years more expensive on toll roads etc so I'm guessing the same for ferries, his is used as a work van / somewhere to sleep when working away and he has nothing but good things to say about it despite him being a moaning sod (think victor meldrew) I know his is over the 100000 mile mark now with just normal servicing and a hard life being used for work so much better than a land rover ;)

scottishpinz

Dec 30, 2010
Scotland
I have VW T5 4Motion. Not quite as big as Sprinter but you can get it as either panel van, Kombie or Shuttle/window van/Caravelle which are registered as cars. The lwb high roof has about the same space as swb mid-roof Sprinter. Both Sprinter 4x4 and VW 4Motion are widely used by emergency services and utilities companies. Neither are particularly rare or unusual. Now if you want rare and unusual try a Steyr Puch Pinzgauer which is what I had previously!

scottishpinz

Dec 30, 2010
Scotland
Mine is manual. I find it gets better economy if I ignore the gear change indicator and let the engine rev a little rather than let it struggle in a higher gear.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
https://instagram.com/p/BdZ1KjaFl07/

I did eventually buy the 4x4 sprinter van, conversion is going slow. All the paint work and mechanical work is done, fitted a snorkel just for fun, some bigger 4x4 tyres and serviced and mot’ed it. It’s taken a wee bit to get to this stage but it’s been fun, and it’s been really good off road with the selectable 4x4 and low range.

It has three seats and we just found out the wife is expecting so I need to work out how to put more seats in lol it was expected, just that maybe we had more time to play with :-l

I’m going to do the electricity next, no idea how this is going to go but with a baby on the way then I’ll need to do my research as i can’t afford any expensive mistakes!

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I did eventually buy the 4x4 sprinter van, conversion is going slow.
I’ll need to do my research as i can’t afford any expensive mistakes!

Even if you are not planning to go globe-trotting in your camper, this

http://africa-overland.net/

is a useful resource for overland vehicle preparation - despite the name it covers travels in other parts of the world.

Almost everyone starts their blog with a detailed summary of the work they have done and many are also honest enough to ‘fess up to what worked and what they would do differently next time.

Although biased towards Land Rover/Cruisers etc. there are plenty of van-type conversions on there and info about dual batteries/split charging systems etc. is equally applicable.

This is the blog from a really nice Anglo-Swiss couple we met on our travels, who have travelled most of the globe in their 4x4 Sprinter - though you might need to use G00gle translate!

http://www.thegreensprinter.ch/

Good luck and safe travels.

PS As I’m sure you know, snorkels are most useful for getting the air intake up away from dust (esp if you are driving in a convoy on dirt roads) but if you are planning to take your Sprinter wading, remember that it needs to be properly sealed all the way through and it is worth adding extension pipes to raise the intake of any axle and other breathers above any potential wading depth.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Congratulations and if you need help with the electrics drop me pm.its what I do as I used to do emergency services vehicle conversions.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
Congratulations and if you need help with the electrics drop me pm.its what I do as I used to do emergency services vehicle conversions.

Do you need a new best pal?

One thing I really need advice on and I don’t know if this is a pipe dream is to have one control board for everything, solar split charger, alternator split charger, external electrics hook up, and the same board that can be switchable (insolate) for all electrics in the van, internal lighting, heating, fridge, exterior lights, usb, water pump

Is such a thing available?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

One thing I really need advice on and I don’t know if this is a pipe dream is to have one control board for everything, solar split charger, alternator split charger, external electrics hook up, and the same board that can be switchable (insolate) for all electrics in the van, internal lighting, heating, fridge, exterior lights, usb, water pump

Interestingly I designed and tested just such a board and had it in my Landy for a while. It took the alternator, solar power, and a mains power input and even a wind turbine input if you had one and switched to whichever had the highest voltage on it (i.e. whichever was active) to the batteries that were separated by an ideal diode arrangement (high power, low loss MOSFETS, with a controlling chip acting as a split charge diode). You could override the spit charge to 'crowbar' the two batteries together for two minutes in emergencies.

I was going to develop it as a product but we were awarded a big contract that took all our time and it was left dormant :( - now I'm retired :)

Reactions: Nice65

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon

Not that I know of.
You can isolate the entire auxiliary equipment. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you dare.but planning what you want an where in the early stages is key

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE