4 pounder to 2lb carving axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For the purpose and function in carving hardwoods, I expect those bevel angles to work very well.

What did you do to cut the steel?

I ask because I just bought a $2 10" steel saw blade to cut up into Ulu.
I have diamond and I have an angle grinder with lots of cutoff disks.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
For the purpose and function in carving hardwoods, I expect those bevel angles to work very well.

What did you do to cut the steel?

I ask because I just bought a $2 10" steel saw blade to cut up into Ulu.
I have diamond and I have an angle grinder with lots of cutoff disks.
Angle grinder! with slit cut disk's, do you have those Robson? there very thin and make cuts no wider than an hacksaw blade, there delicate and don't last too well but cut cooler and fast!

Reactions: Robson Valley

Bionic

Forager
Mar 21, 2018
Bomber county
That looks the business, a nice little project. I’ve got an old Kent pattern axe head I found lodged in one of the dry stone walls around our garden that I was going to rehandle and use for chopping kindling but now you’ve got me thinking, hmmmm! Top job :)

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
That looks the business, a nice little project. I’ve got an old Kent pattern axe head I found lodged in one of the dry stone walls around our garden that I was going to rehandle and use for chopping kindling but now you’ve got me thinking, hmmmm! Top job :)
That would work ever so well, and an easer starting point for reworking.

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
That sounds doable to me :)
pHHTzj9.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My lead core carving mallet is polyurethane faced and (so far) unbreakable with any slash.
At 940 g (30oz), it is just right.

Do this, Pacific Northwest First Nations style.
Start by listening to your heart.
You strike no faster than your heart rate.
All day long and into the night.

Works for elbow adzes and D adzes, too.
Does get easier as your wrists strengthen over a year or so.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
My lead core carving mallet is polyurethane faced and (so far) unbreakable with any slash.
At 940 g (30oz), it is just right.

Do this, Pacific Northwest First Nations style.
Start by listening to your heart.
You strike no faster than your heart rate.
All day long and into the night.

Works for elbow adzes and D adzes, too.
Does get easier as your wrists strengthen over a year or so.
absolutely, find a pace and tune in! be it hammering, sawing, filing, chopping or hiking, its amazing how you can grind away at something once you stop thinking about it so much.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think that was the one problem our apprentice supervisor had over anything else: getting us to slow down! I can still remember him telling me to take slow, controlled and decisive strokes. It's hard to explain to anyone that slower applied stokes will cut faster than flailing at something :)

Nice axe by the way :)

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I think that was the one problem our apprentice supervisor had over anything else: getting us to slow down! I can still remember him telling me to take slow, controlled and decisive strokes. It's hard to explain to anyone that slower applied stokes will cut faster than flailing at something :)

Nice axe by the way :)
My mind has just gone down a very lude road..........anyhow! I guess another thing you get when going too fast is chatter, I find it also can turn up depending on how I have clamped an item I guess you can create a bad harmonic.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My mind has just gone down a very lude road..........anyhow! I guess another thing you get when going too fast is chatter, I find it also can turn up depending on how I have clamped an item I guess you can create a bad harmonic.

:) - shame on you!
We're talking about using tools … err, :oops:; things like files, scrapers, hacksaws …

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE