185K Singer advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Working on sundry projects, in between my dissertation.

I have managed to find some old sails and intend altering them for my Tender.

But I need to find a sewing machine which zigzags. (says she who is vastly wary of sewing machines let alone a fancy one)

I have my 185K semi industrial one...but can it zigzag?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am pretty certain the 185K cannot zigzag. Since you have the machine, you should be able to see at a glance whether it has any controls for that, or whether the foot has an opening that would allow the needle to do more than just go up and down in the same place. The info I can find says that the 185K is simple and that it cannot move the needle from side to side.

If not, you need to shop for another (preferably old) machine.

Sewing machines are not that scary. No need to get a fancy one. Zigzag is pretty basic.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Look for an attachment that clamps to the foot of the machine; I'm in a bit of a rush right now but I'll have a look at those I have here and see if they'll fit the 185k, and post something later on.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Blasted phone .....
I was going to add that a good second hand zig-zag machine , something like a Durcopp will set you back about £400 not viable (in my opinion) to alter a second hand sail unless you are going to use it a lot in the future.
You are going to be sewing through about 7 layers of sailcloth at the patches. Plus you need to have the equipment to set the eyelets in.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Eyelets are no trouble; Have all that kit for my leatherwork.

But to make a junk rig sail about 45sqft is the plan...I dread what one of my local sailmakers might quote. And to give my 8ft pram even a gunter rig would be expensive...where could I get one that small?

Even tiny boats can be expensive...but I have been amassing a few bits and pieces.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've never done any sailmaking, so what I posted above about the attachment for zig -zagging is complete eyewash, just wouldn't handle it at all, I doubt you'd get that type of seam under the foot.

One way you could possibly save a fair bit on the price would be to design and cut your fabric yourself and just pay somebody to do the stitching? Another thought, the size and strength of the eyelets needed would be much greater than most would have in a leather kit.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I've never done any sailmaking, so what I posted above about the attachment for zig -zagging is complete eyewash, just wouldn't handle it at all, I doubt you'd get that type of seam under the foot.

One way you could possibly save a fair bit on the price would be to design and cut your fabric yourself and just pay somebody to do the stitching? Another thought, the size and strength of the eyelets needed would be much greater than most would have in a leather kit.

You are right about the eyelets. We put corner ones in with a hydraulic press.
The price of a small dinghy sail will be far less than a good zig-zag sewing machine.
If doing it yourself don't forget to align the grain of the material correctly. Also in the patches.

Reactions: Macaroon

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I am going to contact my local seamstress. (No Website; only Facebook but some good pictures of what she has done. Clothes, a lot of cushions and some bags. No sails)

No-one in this parish willing to give it a go?

The third option, of course, is to do it the old fashioned way. By hand. Which means a canvas sail.

But I have an old canvas windbreak. I will measure and see what it size it is

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE