Forthcoming Roger Phillips Wild Cooking book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
I'm sure many of you will be familiar with Roger's Mushroom and Wild Food books and he has a new one that is currently on a crowd fund called Wild Cooking.

It's on the Unbound website and the link is here if anyone wants to look/ pledge. No connections and all that jazz...

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have the wild food book. It's well used all year round for the last zillion years. I used to have the mushroom one until I made the mistake of lending it out. Never saw it again. I will be sure to get this too. I'm sure it will become another bible if those other two books are anything to go by. Thanks for the heads up.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Are these books water resistant in any way, shape or form ?

No Dave, 'fraid not; they're not field books they're reference books. You'll need smaller field guides for out and about then these are used to check and cross-reference.

Roger Philips Mushrooms is an excellent book for fungi identification (beyond just edibles) and Wild Food has some good new/less usual stuff in it (as well as the usual) but I hate the index :( (maybe that's just me).

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
Cheers for the information, Broch.
I just ordered the ebook and just thought I may have made a mistake if the real book is proofed. So no need to sweat it then

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Good question but I've not found one yet. It's an area I have been interested in for some time because I would like to know the indigenous plant species that my ancestors (ancient Britons) used to flavour food. There are a few obvious ones like Horseradish and it's thought they even used milk cap juice but things like mustard weren't around in the UK in the iron age. Of course there was spice trade even then but I doubt it was accessible by most.

oops - forgetting my own research here - horseradish not here until middle-ages :)

Not historic (but that was my interest not yours) but this article is interesting:

http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/wild-spices-of-the-uk/

Apologies for going slightly off-topic :)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Matters to me as a (potential) chapter in the book which I might buy.
I have an interest in economic botany, the condiments and luxuries in particular.
Bulk foodstuffs just depend on where you live, what you can barter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE