Hot tenting do's & dont's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I got one of the Gelert type gas heaters for my Oztent. Didn’t run it all night, just to heat up for a half hour before bed, and within easy reach of my bed for the morning. Simple twist and it’s alight, no faffing around. A Jetboil or Brukit and one of these, it’s tea and toast in bed. :)

B1_EBFA71-09_D3-4775-_BFEE-86_C12446_F4_C6.jpg

When I changed the Oztent for a 4m belltent, I very nearly went with the romantic notion of fitting the flashing kit and putting a stove in, but a couple of things put me off. Losing possibly a third of our living area to red hot metal stood on some sort of fireproof covering, having to get out of bed to fiddle with stove vents, ventilation, or add wood, getting out in a freezing cold tent to start a fire to warm it in the morning, CO leakage as the fire goes down to ash and draws less.

Ok, these will obviously produce CO and need some ventilation, but it’s handy knowing it’s switched off before sleeping, and really handy to spark it up in the morning.

Chief

Dec 18, 2019
Lincs.
"but it’s handy knowing it’s switched off before sleeping"
There was an article I read recently (fairly sure in the camping and caravanning club magazine) about what people know and don't know about gas appliances such as heaters. I admit that I fell into a lot of the "didn't know " categories.

The one "didn't know" that struck me the most was that it said gas appliances continue to produce CO even after they've been switched off. So I guess for real safety you have to either have the ventilation all the time, or wait a while after switching off to make sure any CO still being produced gets vented before you seal the heat in for the night.

My own tent actually has a pull back (3/4's sewn) ground sheet, the idea of that is to allow you to cook inside the tent if the weather outside is bad - I suspect that's one of the Hot Tenting Don'ts :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE