Flavoured Salt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Robson V sometimes mention he uses many different salts. This gave me an idea:
Has anybody tried to flavour salt?
Not to add various herbs and spices and leave in the salt, as that would make a spice salt mix, but placing the flavouring agent ( herbs, spices, maybe young pine shoots) in the salt, then removing?
Can it he done?

In Sweden it is tradition to flavour your own brännvin ( type of vodka) with different stuff.
But I have never heard of flavoured salt!
Thoughts?

Bionic

Forager
Mar 21, 2018
Bomber county
I make and use garlic, chilli and celery salt. They all work very nicely in stocks, marinades and brines as well as just being a nice seasoning :)

Edited for appalling grammar, sorry

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I just got an order of 10 different sea salts from Vancouver Island. 3/10 are just coarse finishing salts, derived in different methods of evaporation.
The other 7/10 range from lemon dill salt to tomato basil salt. The herbs and spices are very finely minced and mixed with the salt.
The quantity, the pungency, the combinations are really interesting condiments. I never need more that a literal pinch.
Might not have even 30 of them in the house.

I buy coarse Sifto salt which actually comes out of a solution mine that I used to drive past.
Start with about 4 oz coarse white salt in a jar with a tight lid.
Next, I zested 2 lemons onto a plate covered with that salt. The lemon oil sprays all over and didn't want to waste that.
Mix that together, into the jar and wait a month. Good on fish, as you might imagine, especially the smell.

Don't sliver the lemon peel to include the bitter white pith. Just the yellow surface.

I think that you could add just about any spice or herb as I did. Maybe some you grind together.
Mix garlic powder into the salt. How much? More experiments.
I could make a Greek salt with oregano and lemon zest, dried mint and cinnamon.
If I see some big dark limes, I'll make lime salt. Bet that's good on prawns.

Look on a store shelf. To some extent, the seasoned salts that they make are what sells.
Read the labels: Lawry's Seasoned Salt has a lot of sugar in it. They refuse to say why.

In Kurlansky's entertaining book: A World History of Salt (1400 uses), he says that every place in the UK which ends in -wich was in fact a place where salt was made. What do you all have left of such workings?

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Thanks!
Tomorrow I will get some coarse basic salt and small jars plus some herbs and spiced and start !

Out son is interested too.
He made some pickled gherkins ( local) last week, now we are waiting a month or do.
He is a true foodie. But it does not show on him. Lucky man!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What are you eating tonight?
Everybody should make up a few to go with common foods that they like to eat.
Any kind of a recycled jar, even 500 ml, maybe 1/3 full, is good enough.
Regular white table salt works well enough.

Probably worth buying smoked salt.
Some are mild, different woods, some are really strong, almost greasy, like Spanish Matiz.

I'm told that a "finishing salt" is sprinkled on food as it's served, more for the crunch!
See if you can find Cyprus Flake.
Imagine snow white hollow pyramids, some 4mm on an edge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE