Fire Steel Blanks Again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Where currently is the cheapest source of decent fire steel blanks?

My google and search skills seem to be lacking.

I’m looking for approximately 30-40.

Prices I have seen are a little eye watering.

I’m running a few sessions with autistic children. Would have been nice for then to leave with a fire steel they had handled but at this rate I’m going to lose my kidneys to fund it.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I used to get them from AliExpress and they were about a pound each. they dropped to below 50p and then all of a sdden there are none on Ali.

You might get some from China on eBay or pay extra and get them from China but posted from UK.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
These are ten for £5.20 but you will be taking a gamble unless someone has tried them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-Se...517874&hash=item3d3b5233cd:g:sJYAAOSwq1JZGuEg

OK, got a set of these and I can't say I can recommend them.

For a start they are only 50mm long x 5mm diameter so, by the time you get them in a handle, there's not much to strike with.

They are also difficult to get a spark from (much harder material than my favourite Light My Fire rod) but they do produce a hot spark when you get one.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
OK, got a set of these and I can't say I can recommend them.

For a start they are only 50mm long x 5mm diameter so, by the time you get them in a handle, there's not much to strike with.

They are also difficult to get a spark from (much harder material than my favourite Light My Fire rod) but they do produce a hot spark when you get one.

I was somewhat surprised how small they were on delivery.

What do people use for scrapers?

I know you can use a knife I’m think more for use with younger folk.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

These are brilliant.

https://www.contactleft.co.uk/6-sided-super-alloy-fire-starter-striker.html

But any bit of hard steel should work as long as the edge is a right angle. Hacksaw blade is good.

Those steels sound a bit small, and maybe too hard for the children to get a spark from.

These soft mischmetal ones might be a better bet.

https://www.contactleft.co.uk/06-35-x-76-2mm-misch-metal-fire-starter-fire-steel.html

Reactions: pixelseventy2

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

These little rods need a very keen sharp edge to get them to strike. I had poor results from the usual snapped hacksaw blade but the blades were a bit soft so maybe a better quality one would do a better job. The spark was better when I ground the edge of the blade.

I get excellent big hot sparks using the edge of an Eclipse H5 parting tool but I appreciate that isn't something everyone has lying around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE