Modern British army clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
As I said in my post I am not sure they can supply a big army!

Check their FB page - it says the arid has been bought by 'an entire military'. So they are making large quantities but not large enough.

I find it very sad that the MOD have to go abroad to buy but that is another story. The UK is just right for large scale manufacturing anymore.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Informative thread.
Are any of the current pcs windproof smocks a good value for bushcraft and what type do you recommend? Can they be dyed without turning into a weird color?
Thanks!

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Informative thread.
Are any of the current pcs windproof smocks a good value for bushcraft and what type do you recommend? Can they be dyed without turning into a weird color?
Thanks!
Good luck with the dyeing process, the smocks are ok as liner jackets. If you are really lucky, you may get one in your size, that doesn't pinch at your elbows…
For seem ally reason tailored collars are making a comeback against snorkel hoods. Something to do with helmet and day sack not gelling together.

Artic Bob

Feb 1, 2018
Marches
Informative thread.
Thanks!

i suppose it depends on what you want...

they are pretty practical and very hard-wearing - lots of pockets and in the right places - they are comfortable when worn next to the skin in warmer weather, the wind/shower-proofing is pretty good, and they are easy to repair in the field.

they are however heavier, less comfortable in hot weather and less quick drying than the old style windproof smocks - not least because they have more pockets and therefore more double layers.

i've no idea about dying one, but i'd be astonished if you got anything that didn't look like dyed MTP. and rubbish.

the MTP scheme is extremely effective as a camouflage pattern - its less effective in very dark woodland (conifer plantation) than DPM, but either as effective, or more effective in any other environment. dunno if thats any use to you...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE