Great budget (£20) tarp heads up.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hi guys.
Heads up on this tarp b(£19.99):
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tarp-camping-shelter-dark-green-id_2363223.html

I have been using this since before last bushmoot and it's holding very well. I would even say it's a little more durable than DD tarps, especially the tieouts. Don't be discouraged by the online specs as it says 2.6kg but that's with two 1.8m steel foldable poles (which I use with my family tent), pack of thick steel pegs and massive bag.
The tarp itself weight 700 grams so comparable with DD 3x3. The only drawback for some might be the lack of two tie outs on two edges but that can be easily remedied. Oh, did I mentioned it comes with really good cords? It's pretty much redy to setup out of the bag. I love my silnylons but it's a great option to keep in the car, to use as a groundsheet or to spread over the fire without worrying to much about it. Awesome bit of kit for this price.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
The tarp looks good, but only has corner tie-outs. For £20 it seems to include the poles (100% iron!). At that price you could do some mods to include mid-line loops and more edge attachment points.

SimonL

Oct 13, 2010
Farnborough, Hants
Just wanted to say thanks to BigMonster for the heads up on this one.
I have a reasonable sized Decathlon store in Farnborough (Hants) nearby, and they had 5 in stock, so picked one up this morning.
Has a rather large, white logo on one side (which a purchaser had mentioned in a review on Decathlon's site - and decided to return for a refund (just mentioning))
Put it up in the back garden to check it out, the guys are pretty long !!
Definitely a good basis for some simple modding, and the price is pretty good in my opinion.
Cheers (and thanks again)
Simon

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I love my siltarps. But this one is absolutely perfect to keep in the car for a quick sunshade or blanket or whatever especially with included poles.
Chears.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Equipment from Decathlon most times is a very good offer.

The hunting clothing and the 50 litres and 30 litres hunting ruck sacks are very interesting too. X-access belt and pouches fit with molle system.
The hiking socks with 70% wool are very well. And the 20 € tent Arpenaz 2 is very good for the price too.
The leather hiking boots for 100€ are incredible cheap.

I bougt a lot of this equipment and found it very well. But i prefere always the hunting equipment over the trekking equipment, because it is stronger and usually better constructed.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
The tarp looks good, but only has corner tie-outs. For £20 it seems to include the poles (100% iron!). At that price you could do some mods to include mid-line loops and more edge attachment points.
You can always try that trick of using a pebble and tying your cord around that with a bowline to make extra tie-outs, it really works.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
what be the benefits for iron rather than aluminium or other materials... i would have thought the iron would be more prone to rust?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
what be the benefits for iron rather than aluminium or other materials... i would have thought the iron would be more prone to rust?

Nothing apart from cheapness.

I started out with this tarp over 10 years ago, still got it knocking around somewhere as well. It's a good tarp and the last I saw of the poles they were zinc plated so pretty rust proof

Reactions: tiger stacker

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You simply have to understand, how Decathlon calculates.

They sell a very good bushcraft and wild camping Tarp for an incredible low price.

They can do it only, because they sell it to thousands of French camping tent users as additional sun protection for the terrasse in front of their family's large camping tent.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Decathlon can offer this good tarp only for this incredible low price, because it is sold as additional sun protection for camping ground users.

I guess, they sell around 80% of this Tarps to French camping ground users.

That is the only reason, why they put the poles in the packets.

For hiking you even would better replace the lines with the orange Decathlon Simond 2mm lines.

In their calculation it is simply cheaper to do it like this, as if they would offer two different packets.
And as you see, it is cheaper for the user too!

Just let this poles at home, replace the lines with the lighter orange 2mm Simond lines and you made the best deal you can find!

Reactions: Jason Young

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE