Solo stove and Toaks stove (knock offs) comparison

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Not an in depth look but a side by side comparison using them in the field in cold temps. I used cat litter and the same ignition method in both. The solo stove knockoff performed excellently and had a really long burntime with half a charge of cat litter. The Toaks knockoff worked but not in the same league as the solo, seemed to work better with sticks but I can see wind being an issue.

I do need to Give the second one a better trial and for the price point both are worth the money but the extra £3-4 is money well spent on the solo type.

Reactions: KenThis

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Like the video.
The first stove looks more like a 'wild woodgas stove' knockoff than a 'solo stove' knockoff.
I have a similar/identical lixada stove and agree it works very well.
I think solo stoves are one piece and sealed at the bottom. They are handier if you need to move the stove during use as they stay cool to the touch (at the base). They are also bomb proof being solid but bulky...

Reactions: nobby8126

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Like the video.
The first stove looks more like a 'wild woodgas stove' knockoff than a 'solo stove' knockoff.
I have a similar/identical lixada stove and agree it works very well.
I think solo stoves are one piece and sealed at the bottom. They are handier if you need to move the stove during use as they stay cool to the touch (at the base). They are also bomb proof being solid but bulky...

Yes Ken these are both lixada and you're right now that I've seen the wild woodgas it is closer to that but principle is the same, I think the bulkiness of the solo is the one thing that would put me off. The bigger it is the more likley I'm going to dent it. Performance wise I can't see how the lixada could be improved, the longevity is yet to be proven tho.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I like all my stoves they all work, and each has a different use in my eyes.
My solo stove is great when I really don't want to leave a trace. Or when I'm using a larger pot, much more stable.
The bulk isn't too bad if you pack stuff in it, plus it is really solidly built, probably over engineered.
It's nice that the ash stays in the stove, also sometimes I'm happier letting it burn out without actively attending it (depends on fuel) as it is self contained.
As with all woodgas stoves they work best if they burn from the top down, so packing it with small pieces of kindling/tinder first and then light the top.
Once it's burning well small bits added to the top gassify almost immediately.

The 'wild woodgas stove' packs down much better so I'd use it more if I was hiking (I mostly car camp).
I bought my wild woodgas years ago and have used it a lot. I bought a couple of lixada knockoffs summer before last and was really disappointed that they worked so well. Since I got them for a fraction of the price of the 'real' thing.
I'm kind of precious with my gear, the 'wild woodgas' was my third stove and I'll keep it forever. However I have no qualms about the lixada knockoffs. I use/abuse them and am happy to loan them out.
I'll say that the wild woodgas mkii is better made but that might be more sentimentality than fact.
I wouldn't worry about the longevity of the lixada stoves I've had one running literally all day and it was fine. I left one out in the garden for a few weeks and again was fine.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
At the price point of the lixadas they arent far off disposable price. I make loads of stoves with my boys, usually meths, but going to be making a few woodgas ones now I'm happy that they work and will probably leave some at our camp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE