WWII British Army String Vest…how were they originally worn?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Question here…
as information is not easy to find.

The old British military cotton string vests used in WWII and onwards…
how were they worn?
Were they worn next to the skin or

was it skin then a collarless shirt then the string vest under the battledress blouse?

Any old timers know or ever hear from any of your older relatives from the forces how they were worn?
Thanks!

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
String vests are worn next to the skin but must be under a shirt. What is little understood is they are designed to keep the shirt off the skin as the shirt would be worn for more then one day !! 3 shirts One on, one in the drawer and one in the wash.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Worn next to the skin. The netting effect created air pockets. That both kept the person warm and allowed sweat to evaporate.

M

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
The crew of "Skydiver" from Gerry Anderson's series UFO making string vests look sexy since 1970
cc8e7bdd5d7130e96d64b200156bc417---the-moon.jpg

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
hmmmm, look like my Aclima wool net gear. lol! Seriously though, as everyone else has said, next to the skin with a layer over the top to trap the air. My wool net stuff may make me look like someone off UFO, but it is surprisingly warm and comfortable.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Not sure if this is 100% true. An RAF fireman once told me that they wore them so that there was less skin contact area should thier clothes catch fire

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sad to say I've wartime and post war string vests in my collection and a worrying amount of draws, cellular....

Back in tghe 90s I aquired a set of Brynje under ware as it was in a closing down sale and would just fit.

https://www.brynje-shop.com/en/sportswear~c12/brynje-super-thermo-shirt-10200300-p9610

The one time I tried them on herself nearly wet herself laughing so hard. Possibly I should have worn underpants as there was much mention of kiwi fruit in her grannies string bag or some such.

ATB

Tom

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Used them on a tour of Kenya and why they were stopped in favour of cotton t shirts in Iraq and Afghanistan I just don’t know.
In 130 degree heat of archers post they kept a gap of a red hot shirt off your skin.

Smart kit and simple

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Weird. In Sweden we call them ’nät brynjor’.
Translated to British/American it means ’net mail (shirt)’ you know what they wore in battle

Strange a Nirwegisn company can use that as a brand name.

Reactions: Monk

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Colin Fletcher, in "The Complete Walker" (1971) describes the string vest as "an unlikely garment consisting of a lot of holes tied together with string", and in a footnote, tells the following anecdote:

"During World War Two I was with a British unit that had been issued with fishnet vests as special mountaineering equipment. Eventually the unit was converted to cliff assault duty and moved to a Cornish fishing village. Our string vests astonished the fishermen and their wives. For several years they had, as experienced netmakers, been producing these strange devices for the war effort in great secrecy but they had never been able to guess what the peculiarly shaped nets were for. No one, when sober, had seriously entertained the notion that they might be some kind of clothing."

Reactions: Toddy

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is an excellent piece of clothing. I was not aware that the young’ und did not know it existed.
I still use them, I have a couple I bought in the early 1980’s.
I remember I asked mother to wash them several times before I wore them, same with my cotton shirts.
Cotton used to be of a much higher quality decades ago, the clothes lasted much longer.
But the fabric (fibers?) were stiffer.
Real nipple abraders!

Last edited:

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Heh, thanks for the replies everyone!
oldtimer, thanks for the Colin Fletcher reference.
I have run across on the web some references to them being worn over a shirt… next to skin a long sleeve shirt on then the string vest over it from what I can figure out then the outer shirt/blouse, etc. in WWII. Just wondering if this allowed for better air circulation in cold climates…as MikeLA points out in hot weather they would be better worn next to the skin.

I figured that someone might recall from older relatives how they were used/instructed to do so in the older days.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Janne,
When you used the cotton string vest,
what layers were you using over it…cotton shirts then a sweater? Something that could be opened for ventilation?
Activity level…hiking/working outdoors…were you able to avoid getting clammy/sweaty with the mesh vest?
Thanks!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My 93 year old Uncle died last year, and I had asked him a few years previously since I'd found two hand knitted ones and wondered about them. That's how I knew that they were worn next to the skin and about the airspaces and sweat evaporating. He served right through the WW2 and he said they were great things. Warm in the cold of Northern Italy, and still comfortable in the heat of North Africa, and still fine while slogging through training in British bogs and hillsides.

Where did you see about them being worn over another shirt ? that would just stick that shirt to the skin and it'd be a sweaty chilled mess in no time.

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Your layering is absolutely correct. Always closest to the body.
I personally prefer clothes that are buttoned (or a zip on a sweater) all the way bottom to top. Easier to remove and ease of adjusting the temperature and ventilation.

In Sweden everybody used to have them, even my wife used to have one.
In cold weather they are very warming as they trap air.

Summertime I used to only walk around the garden in shorts and a string west. It gives a feeling of having clothes on, a bare upper body is more ‘naked’.
I did not want to give the old lady next door a heart attack, being almost naked !
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE