What excites you about spring arriving?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
longer day gives me time to fix the car, finish the garden low wall, dig the garden, diy the house well some painting and flooring, make some knives and most important of all go and hike the moor and tor's again.

Reactions: Nice65

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
Took a trip down to a small cant I finished with in December. Spring might have not arrived exactly but it certainly looks like it on its way with the first bluebells coming up.

Landowner says that as long as they have owned it they have only ever seen one of two because it was so overstood. Proof if any is needed to just one of the many benefits of coppicing!

Attachments

• P1000927.JPG
    P1000927.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 11
  • P1000929.JPG
    P1000929.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Landowner says that as long as they have owned it they have only ever seen one of two because it was so overstood. Proof if any is needed to just one of the many benefits of coppicing!

We could have a long discussion on this (separate thread) but are you sure you have not lost any species by letting the light in? It's a 'speciesist' action that is not necessarily the best thing for the environment. Like I said - another thread :)

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
We could have a long discussion on this (separate thread) but are you sure you have not lost any species by letting the light in? It's a 'speciesist' action that is not necessarily the best thing for the environment. Like I said - another thread :)

The cant was only small (less that 80m square) and was part of an ongoing management plan which had been drawn up by the estate with the assistance of the Kent Wildlife Trust (who I had worked with for a year as a full time volunteer). The wood had been neglected and hadn't seen any coppicing for at least 50 years so there was practically no light getting to the woodland floor, lots of bramble that that was about it.

The plan is set over a 25 year period and is a process of gradually re-establishing the coppice cycle using small cants which will create varying habitats at different stages of maturity, providing a home and the right conditions for a number of species of both flora and fauna.

I do agree that in certain cases coppicing is not the right answer (for example letting light in too quickly to a woodland pond), but in my experience the benefits are vast and many (just ask any ecologist...) but as you say that is for another thread.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Can't wait to get out and tap a maple or a birch, them planting a few trees ( maybe like 50 to 100 this year) and when I get to it - finishing the house! That would be awesome. But first things first, still freezing cold with snow here... but the days are longer.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales

Patchwork habitats are usually the richest. Destruction in any form creates space for something and small scale, thoughtful interventions keep the ecology of an area moving. There will always be winners and losers but I guess the trick is to make sure there are enough of both over a long enough time scale.

SimonL

Oct 13, 2010
Farnborough, Hants
A very simple reply from me, I'm afraid...the extra light !
Waking with daylight is just such a lovely feeling, especially when it's still (relatively) quiet on the (nearby) roads.
A new year lies ahead, and it's calling.
Cheers
Simon

SimonL

Oct 13, 2010
Farnborough, Hants
Just remembered this that I managed to take a picture of recently, apologies for the poor quality, but I did manage to work out it was a Redwing.
Not seen one here (in Farnborough, Hants) in 25 years(ish), so was pretty chuffed !
Sorry - struggling to work out how to post an image...

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Simon, we can't host images unless you're a subscribing member, the best way is to link the images through to the forums, hope that helps.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Affirmation for the cycle of life
Sap rising (although i've yet to tap it)
The dawn chorus
Increased light
Increased green and
Blossom on the trees in the city and elsewhere...

It makes me feel a bit like i imagine a tree feels with sap rising... that sounds wrong... how to put it... like everything starts stirring to life again...

Love all the seasons for different reasons, but Spring is the most optimistic...

Reactions: Broch

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What excites me about spring arriving is how quickly winter comes back! Spring sun one day then snow the next. Looking forward to a base camping trip with the family in the Peak District over Easter. What's the betting? Winter or spring?

Reactions: boubindica

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ha ha, yeah, I agree with that, I miss the seasons we had more when I was young, things merge now, it will soon be winter again, I think this one we've seen it as winter rather than just a smudge between autumn and Spring... Today is a bit overcast, yesterday was a lovely blue sky with a nip in the air.
Starting to see flowers out now, it will ramp up quickly...

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
What excites me about spring arriving is how quickly winter comes back! Spring sun one day then snow the next. Looking forward to a base camping trip with the family in the Peak District over Easter. What's the betting? Winter or spring?

Feeling optimistic so I'm gonna go with Spring for your Easter trip... good luck :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Last Easter we camped and I cracked the ice off the tent when I scrambled out early in the morning. Ended up a nice day.

This Easter I think is earlier and snow is rumoured to be coming. I've had snow later than Easter while camping before now (IIRC late April or into May). It's spring I guess, the season between winter and summer that can't decide which one it's closest to.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Feeling optimistic so I'm gonna go with Spring for your Easter trip... good luck :)
Thank you.

You can bet one thing will happen. That is we'll have fun! First family camp of the year.

It's in an old favourite campsite. Dog friendly site cafe and site bar (first time we've got a dog too). It's 100m from the Tissington cycle trail on a disused rail line. So we've got the bikes and will be riding a lot with luck.

I've got my recumbent too. My partner will be carrying the dog in a dog carrier on the front. I'm learning about my recumbent but might still have to mount the child tag along to it for longer rides.

It's not Bushcraft but it's fun. Just wondering if at should book the woodfired hot tub they have. Best not the dog might jump in!

Reactions: boubindica

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I look forward to there being enough early light for me to have a quick wander in my little woods on my way to work (before 7am), the new growth coming through and the foraging improving - I nibbled my first Wild Garlic leaf of the year today :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I look forward to there being enough early light for me to have a quick wander in my little woods on my way to work (before 7am), the new growth coming through and the foraging improving - I nibbled my first Wild Garlic leaf of the year today :)

Had a stroll with the dogs through Ramson woodland today, such a lovely smell.

I'll pick some tomorrow and either make Ramson, potato and Saffron soup, or a cream cheese omelette.

I also like dumping a kilo of leaves (unwashed or the moisture causes mould) into a litre of extra virgin and steeping for a week. Pour through muslin and squeeze. Great for salads, fried eggs etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE