Strike anywhere matches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
When i was a kid they were all the matches you could get, now they all seem to be safety matches. So for non safety where do you get them and what do you recommend

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
When i was a kid they were all the matches you could get, now they all seem to be safety matches. So for non safety where do you get them and what do you recommend

You can still get them; they're sold as 'Cook's Matches' and they come in the large yellow wipe clean box - widely available. The box is marked as 'Strike Anywhere' and I have tested them :)

Reactions: grip

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden

You must be very old, as Swedish Safety Matches have been sold all around the world since the they invented them in Sweden in mid 1800'!

I used to use the non safety matches while in Nature, but went off them when I lost a whole pack by self igniting. Spent close to a week eating uncooked stuff, chewing coffee grinds.

It was easier to keep those non safety ones functionable than the safety matches plus corresponding striking surface.

Last edited:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My local newsagent and post office have them, I believe they are swan, however I live in a small village where the shops shut on Sunday and people don't think your a nutter if you say hello or morning to someone you don't know on the street in way of a greeting... It feels like I'm living in a time bubble set to fifty years ago, which in some ways is quite pleasant.

Anyway I'm surprised non safety matches aren't readily available in small newsagents. I'm pretty sure the tesco and co-op round here have non-safety matches.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Swan Vestas were a mainstay of my kit from my earliest memories until fairly recently. I have three match cases; one on my EDC keychain, another in my bits and bobs pouch, and one in my rucksack. I got to thinking what would happen if a strike anywhere match ignited by friction in one of my tightly sealed containers- especially the one in my pocket very near what Mrs oldtimer loves most about me. A remote possibility admittedly, but I switched to safety matches with a striking surface placed where it cannot accidentally touch a match head.

I know that Swan Vestas are still available because I asked about them in a tobacconist's. Personally, my primary fire maker is a disposable gas cigarette lighter; next is a fireflash, one in my pocket, one on the neck cord with my knife; and I carry a magnifying glass in the bits and bobs pouch.

Having a range of fire makers is a habit I picked up many years ago when living in the woods in the US. Incidentally, I don't smoke but it's remarkable how often those who do need my help to light their fags. It no longer surprises me how often the poorly prepared seem to need me to provide fire, cutting tool, safety pins, needle and thread etc!

Reactions: grip and Janne

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yep. Swan Vestas are still available just about anywhere. A quick dip in melted candle wax used to give some waterproofing too. The wax needs to be very liquid, if it sets too thick the match won't work well or sticks to your finger while igniting.

Best strike anywhere matches are/were, the American ones. A thick longer match with a pink head with a white tip, they really did light anywhere.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Strike-Anywhere wooden matches disappeared here for a very long time. Decades.
The white phosphorus tips had become the core component in recreational explosives.

Commonly used by those with no understanding of conventional meal powder or gun powder, carbon-based.

Reactions: Lonsy466

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Strike-Anywhere wooden matches disappeared here for a very long time. Decades.....

I can still get them but it's difficult to find them.

......Best strike anywhere matches are/were, the American ones. A thick longer match with a pink head with a white tip, they really did light anywhere.

I remember when they used to be good. The last few years the quality's been slipping.

Somebody upthread said y'all call them "cook's" matches. That's similar to what they're called here; "kitchen" matches. At least that's what we called them back when people knew about them (and what's still written on the boxes)

81HBl0tUJ1L._SL1436_.jpg

By the way, the above photo was lifted from Amazon so that might be a source for you?

Reactions: Lonsy466

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I haven't really needed one for years. Handful of Bic butanes tossed into all packs and sacks.
Chances are, I'll find at least one of them! Railroad flares burn for exactly 10 minutes.
Major help to get a fire going with wet wood, if I had to.

As a kid, I was taught to keep all the Strike-Anywhere matches in tin canisters with lids.
Mice can and will get into them and one good dry nibble. . . . . .. POOF!

In Canada, Natural Resources Canada, Explosives Regulatory Division, controls all licencing for pyrotechnicians.
Both for the arts (theater/TV/movies) and for commercial (display.) I hold Supervisor's cards for each.
Lots and lots of interesting things beyond kitchen matches if that fills yer boots.
It's a filthy, dirty job with bad hours and some risk. Nice people to work with, all the same.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I get the Swans and when I did in Tescos I was asked if I wanted saftey matches...

A bit prying maybe but I think we all agree there is a slight risk.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Maybe not so slight....
There is a reason they took the expense of retooling the factories to make safety matches back in those days.

In worst case you might severely damage or even lose your backpack. Which is not so good if you are days away from civilisation in bad weather!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I get the Swans and when I did in Tescos I was asked if I wanted saftey matches...

A bit prying maybe but I think we all agree there is a slight risk.

I really like Swan Vestas, have done since I was a youngster and we could plink the packs with our air pistols until they caught alight, and later as a decent match in a good sized box for fires and the smoking of pipe tobacco. Really handy to tuck a few wax sealed ones into a slip of card wrapped in tape, we even glued a strip of sandpaper along the opening on both sides so we could draw a lighted match :) It worked occasionally, not often.

Safety matches can be struck on glass, though it's far likelier you'll get a small thumb blister doing this than striking a Swan on anything.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My greatest disappointment with Strike-Anywhere was how sensitive they were to getting damp.
I guess they all are pretty useless beyond that point.

It was our mother who did the experiments with matches.
She found that clear (or any color) nail polish did a better job of waterproofing than wax or varnish.
Far easier striking through the harder surface coating.
So, guess what us boys were set to doing before every family camping/fishing trip (2+ weeks)?
Cooking was done on a 2-burner Coleman gas stove.
Campfire as long as we wanted one, as long as us kids did all the work for the wood.
Matches for everything.

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE