Vegan advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eh ?

No, no, no, they walked. They walked calmly, with their heads up, and intent on simply browbeating a pride of lions, cutting a chunk out of their kill and calmly walking away.

Like this, though there are other examples.

M

Reactions: santaman2000

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a recipe for a lions head if thats any help to anyone....

You are right Janne, Indian food is some of the best on the planet, I love it too. (Whether it is wholesome is anyones guess, given the frail forms of many of my subcontinent friends, and the tartrazine)

But most of western veg food is either horrible or overspiced.

I went to sunday lunch once with friends.

mixed veg and rice boiled to death...oh, with a side dish of so called morality.

(No nuttrients were harmed during the making of this meal, -they were just boiled to obvivion)

Yes, I can see now the revolted face of Veg forum members. (and me. They were most put out I didnt like their food.)

Is it even possible to be a vegitarian without soya?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Six+ million years. The teeth in my head and the anatomy of my entire digestive tract make me an omnivore.
That includes the amino acids that I must get from the meats that I eat, amino acids which humans cannot synthesize..

Go ahead, be a vegetarian or a vegan. Do it with a little class and some diligence for a complete diet.
Watch out for the decomposed anchovy in Worcestershire Sauce, too.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is it even possible to be a vegitarian without soya?

Yes it is. I didn't even know what soya was when I was vegetarian and feeding two vegetarian children. I knew nuts though, and I knew about food combining, and variety of foods and the necessity thereof.
Nowadays the cheap soya bean kind of undercuts every other kind of milk or vegetable 'protein', well apart from quorn I suppose.
I like tofu, but no one else in the family does.

Janne's earlier comment about meat being a rare part of most folks diet in the past is spot on. When most of the population lived rural lives, they honestly didn't have much meat. They couldn't afford to feed many animals through winter, and it was better to focus on multi use beasts. So hens were kept so long as they were laying, cattle were kept as cows or draught animals, in the past pigs were scrawny hardy beasts like grice and farms could only really afford to feed maybe one or two of those in a year. The sheep were more valuable for their fleece than meat.
...Go ahead, be a vegetarian or a vegan. Do it with a little class and some diligence for a complete diet.
Watch out for the decomposed anchovy in Worcestershire Sauce, too.

We can get it from mushrooms, and yeast, it's fairly straightforward tbh.

Yeah, Worcestershire sauce and it's horrible ingredient; I'm allergic to fish, I don't do Worchestershire sauce. Besides, Marmite is so much better :D

M

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a huge appetite for fish and shellfish. Must have been a relief to my parents, I'll eat just about any food put in front of me.
You can have all the Marmite. Just a little too much food processing compared with a big pot of steamed mussels.

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's just boiled yeast. We even get different flavoured varieties when they source the yeast from different brewers :D They even had a champagne version one year.
https://www.marmite.co.uk/limited-editions.

Past peoples of the hunter gatherer persuasion ate shellfish the way we eat peanuts...with less nutrient available. Basically one shellfish = one calorie.
Why we find shell middens metres tall and wide.

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Marmite and the antepodesn version are very aquired tastes indeed....
I used to live with a NZ girl once upon the time ( BW = Before Wife) and she had vegimite sent up from NZ.

I did use it to flavour soups and casseroles!

My dad told me that chicken was a rare treat before WW2. When he went to his mom’s family estate he was usually given a 9mm Flobert gun, and his grandma ( the boss if the place) shiwed him which hen to shoot.
They were affluent but still did not eat chicken more than a ciupke of times a year.
Ditto with meat.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mariculture of both clams and oysters is common practice on Haida Gwaii in this day and time.
Natural productivity is insufficient to yield the west coast shell middens alone.
Shuck the shell fish, thread them on cords and they go into the smoke house with the fish.

I don't think that vegans would do very well here in the interior or west on the coast.
There just isn't the calorie value in these landscapes without the salmon.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Who was it posted the excellent thread about his family's traditional harvesting of wild rice ?
Acorn flour, even the inner bark of pine trees, roasted and ground into flour, is rich in calories.
Humanity can make most things edible even though we don't have teeth like elephants or lions or monitor lizards.

Reactions: Robson Valley

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A bit more than 1 calorie per shelfish, and it does appear shellfish are a protein source.

composition_chart.gif

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ecology text books will show that Gross Production = Net Production + Respiration.
Just mean that you have to eat enough to make a profit on the right side.
In Canada, that implies an area of some 15 acres for a hunter-gatherer.

In a village of 20+ families, that's a huge amount of work without some cultivation
More and more I read that survival was mostly semi-starvation.

Beyond the romantic, I like wild rice. I don't know which of the 4 species of the genus Zizania was planted
across Saskatchewan along the Churchill River in the 1940's. The original intention was as muskrat food.
Anyway, more and more grain harvest.
The product from the LaRonge native CoOperative is the best taste of several that I've bought.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Likewise, peanuts appear pretty high in nutritional value www.nutrition-and-you.com/peanuts.html Here's the relevant bit:

Health Benefits of Peanuts
  • Peanuts are rich in energy (567 calories per 100 g) and contain health benefiting nutrients, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins that are essential for optimum health.

• They compose sufficient levels of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA), especially oleic acid. MUFA helps lower LDL or "bad cholesterol" and increases HDL or "good cholesterol” level in the blood. Research studies suggest that the Mediterranean diet which is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids help prevent coronary artery disease and stroke risk by favoring healthy serum lipid profile.

• Peanut kernels are a good source of dietary protein; compose fine quality amino acids that are essential for growth and development.

• Research studies have shown that peanuts contain high concentrations of polyphenolic antioxidants, primarily p-coumaric acid. This compound has been thought to reduce the risk of stomach cancer by limiting the formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines in the stomach.

• Peanuts are an excellent source of resveratrol, another polyphenolic antioxidant. Resveratrol has been found to have a protective function against cancers, heart disease, degenerative nerve disease, Alzheimer's disease, and viral/fungal infections.

• Furthermore, studies suggest that resveratrol may reduce stroke risk through altering molecular mechanisms in the blood vessels (reducing susceptibility to vascular damage through decreased activity of angiotensin, a systemic hormone responsible for blood vessel constriction that would elevate blood pressure), and by increasing production of vasodilator hormone, nitric oxide.

• Recent research studies suggest that roasting/boiling enhances antioxidant bioavailability in the peanuts. It has been found that boiled peanuts have two and four-fold increase in isoflavone antioxidants biochanin-A and genistein content, respectively. (Journal of agricultural and food chemistry).

• The kernels are an excellent source of vitamin-E(α -tocopherol); containing about 8 g per100 g. vitamin E is a powerful lipid soluble antioxidant which helps maintain the integrity of mucosa and skin by protecting from harmful oxygen free radicals.

• The nuts are packed with many important B-complex groups of vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6, and folates. 100 g of peanuts provide about 85% of RDI of niacin, which contributes to health and blood flow to the brain.

• The nuts are a rich source of minerals like copper, manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium.
Just a handful of peanuts per day provide enough recommended levels of phenolic antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, and protein.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I buy a selection of garden herbs and vegetables each spring & summer week from a local grower.
Fabulously clean, just eat, no washing needed!

Advice to Vegans: while you diversify your diet, do be aware of crop failure.

a) I happen to like parsnips cooked in several different ways. So I request the grower put some in.
Spring 2017 seed germination was a 100% failure. None. Nada.

b) I wanted to mess with roasting & salting peanuts. So the grower plants Valencia. He's done this before.
I told him that I'd take $100 worth or less to play with. OK fine.
The plants looked fabulous and lush all summer, I had my hopes up for sure.
Autumn came and he dug up everything to dry.

One single, stinkin' little peanut was the entire crop. One. I stuck it on my refrigerator door.
Visitors ask what's in the sandwich bag stuck on the fridge door. . . . . . .always good for a laugh.

and I didn't starve.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Peanuts and Salmon jerky together with beer and you are good!

I think it is fine to be a Vegan in our modern, sedentary way of life in a temperate climate. Easy to get nutritionsl additions in tablet form, transport across the world of fresh fruit and veg and so on.

But in the arctic, having a physically demanding work - difficult.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like peanuts raw, parched (roasted) deep friedfried (you can eat shell and all this way) boiled, and as peanut butter. For me boiled is the easiest: just boil in water filled with salt and your other favorite spices (I like Cajun style) then bag them and freeze them until ready. Obviously peanut butter is even easier to store but not as easy to prep.

Just looked around the site I shared above and it also has a page on mushrooms. It looks like Toddy's right about it being high in B-12. Again, here's the relevant bit:

Mushroom nutrition
  • Mushrooms endowed with natural proteins, ample amount of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
  • They contain vitamin B-12 in sufficient quantities which otherwise lacking in any plant produces.

• Despite of their high quality nutritional composition, they relatively low in calories, and fats and contain zero cholesterol.

• Additionally, mushrooms carry natural anti-oxidants such as ergothinene, phenolic pigments etc.

• They indeed are excellent sources of essential minerals like manganese, selenium, zinc, copper, iodine, and molybdenum.

• Furthermore, mushrooms are modest sources of vitamin-D (ergo-calciferol). Vitamin D plays a vital role in the calcium and phosphate metabolism.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A bit more than 1 calorie per shelfish, and it does appear shellfish are a protein source.

composition_chart.gif

As a rough and ready figure it still works out pretty much at one calorie per shellfish....84g =100cal and mind that here the shellfish are whelks, winkles, oysters, muscles and the like, not the huge clams of tropical waters.
Shell middens are enormous because of the sheer numbers needed to make a meal.
An archaeologist worked it out once that for one red deer's equivalent it would need something like 50,000 oysters, or 150,000 cockles. Bailey 1978, if I recall correctly.
The dietary value of the molluscs that end up in a shell midden is surprising low, and that's true whether it's the Atlantic/North Sea/Irish Sea/Mediterranean coastlines of Western Europe or those of Australia or South America.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE