First night at Camp Nobby

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
As I had a little time off over xmas I took the opportunity to combine a days beating with an overnighter at what I'm hoping will be my semi permenant camp. The night I chose was really stormy and helped me test my kit. I brought a few new toys with me to test such as a packable saw, IR camera and a DIY field oven.

The night wasn't the smoothest of trips I had with a load of local youths having a party in the woods about 200yds from my camp, I remained undetected by them which is a plus side for my site choice, I did go over and offer them a pheasant and subsiquently scared the bejesus out of them. Who would of thought a fat bearded bloke emerging out the woods with a dead animal would provoke such a reaction, I also wanted to make sure I wasnt getting stabbed in my sleep.

The field oven was working well till I knocked my roasties into the heat source and ended up with a small chip pan like fire (which I used to start my campfire).

I have put a ridgeline on to my hammock which has made a big difference in the lay, am going to bite the bullet soon and get a longer one. Eyeing up the WBBB but cant really justify the cost.

I have attached the vid which does have footage of my dogs working, game preperation but no animals are dispatched on film. The dog bit is the first 5 mins

Reactions: Nice65

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Good video Sir, enjoyed watching

The infra red camera was spot on....might order one myself

Liked and subbed to your channel

All the best,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Spot on. :) You made a harsh night out look like awesome fun despite the cooking problems, fire, and weather.

I've got through a few hammocks, the War Bonnet was on the list, but I'm currently on one of Bigmonsters Hiker XLs with the built in UQ. I know it has a good lay and plenty of space, but haven't done the cold test yet. I roof it with a DD 3x3 regular or superlight tarp stretched diagonally, on the square if it's looking windy and wet.

IMG_0376.JPG

Doesn't show, apart from the grass stems, but the wind was sweeping up and cold so I put up a second tarp and weighed it down with logs.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Good video Sir, enjoyed watching

The infra red camera was spot on....might order one myself

Liked and subbed to your channel

All the best,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers Mate,

camera is an SQ11 they are all over Ebay, wish and amazon. Got mine for £12 delivered

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Spot on. :) You made a harsh night out look like awesome fun despite the cooking problems, fire, and weather.

I've got through a few hammocks, the War Bonnet was on the list, but I'm currently on one of Bigmonsters Hiker XLs with the built in UQ. I know it has a good lay and plenty of space, but haven't done the cold test yet. I roof it with a DD 3x3 regular or superlight tarp stretched diagonally, on the square if it's looking windy and wet.

View attachment 47506

Doesn't show, apart from the grass stems, but the wind was sweeping up and cold so I put up a second tarp and weighed it down with logs.
Nice set up, I have all manor of hammocks and make sure I do at least a night a month in them, £500 for wbbb with under quilt is a lot to spend but the space and comfort it offers seems worth it, the shelf would be a massive help. I use a lot of TW kit and they cant be beat at the price point. they used to do custom but don't seem to any more.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I’ve always wondered why bushcrafting and shooting don’t go hand in hand more. On an old shoot I was in we were always around the woods when the pheasants arrived doing vermin control and making sure no human intervention affected the pheasants. It would be the ideal opportunity to set up a permanent bushcraft camp!

Reactions: nobby8126

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
I’ve always wondered why bushcrafting and shooting don’t go hand in hand more. On an old shoot I was in we were always around the woods when the pheasants arrived doing vermin control and making sure no human intervention affected the pheasants. It would be the ideal opportunity to set up a permanent bushcraft camp!
I've had the same thought but can see a couple issues, 1 would be if you're camping there you could spook the birds from the drive or if they get used to people in their area they may make them hard to get up. Would be ideal tho. I did get offered an overnighter there as someone had been mooching when they shouldn't have been.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I don’t think the camping would be a problem tbh, as long as your not right in the pen lol if the wood is big enough and your down wind of the pen you would hear any distribution be it fox or human! We usually sat out until it got dark then headed back to the car!

The birds would soon get up with a spaniel at their tail

Reactions: nobby8126

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE