Excalibur! (sort of)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Behold Excalibur! The mightiest sword!

Excalibur by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Excalibur 2 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

In reality, this is a sword styled letter opener, with a blade of only three and a half inches, that I have made for my mum. True bladesmiths should look away, as the construction is probably a travesty.
Made from leaf spring, and only forged enough to get it flat; thereafter I used stock removal to create the edge, false edge and fuller (very roughly ground using a cutting disc in my angle grinder). The handle is sapele, with brass fittings. I have a feeling that Excalibur should probably be bejewelled, but I wanted to keep it simple.

The stone is mounted on a hardwood plinth, and has a hole, drilled with a diamond core. I have used Sugru mouldable glue to pack around the hole to create a snug fit for the sword.

Sorry to any Arthurian purists if I have incorrectly conflated the legends of Excalibur and the Sword in the Stone!

Thanks for looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE