Cat litter recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a tiny wee stove though, it'll only take one 'snowball' and it'll burn through that open airy thing in no time. From personal experience shavings often end up as flying embers, rather than binding together.
Robson Valley's pellets are made like that because it's the most efficient use of the material, and cat litter is the closest available without buying several tonnes of the stuff.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Back a few years ago two guys at work discovered an industrial pelletizer machine thingy was lurking in the place the bosses hide bad ideas. One evening after day shift left when a skeleton night shift was on they fished it out and got it working. The next night they'd arranged to dispose off a lot of wood shavings from the nearby woodmill. Then they went round a few woodburner stove retailers with a nice sized fuel block.

For about a year they made a nice wedge of money. It ended when someone who had left the company 4 years before came one night before they'd started working on their sideline and walked off with the machine. He half had a claim for it because he was one of the former bosses that had the original bad idea that got the machine.

Off topic but if you do get waste wood from sawmill then look into how to consolidate the shavings or whatever form it's in to a briquette or some extruded block that can be broken into pellets. I'd have thought there would be an easy way to make even wood dust useful.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
. I'd have thought there would be an easy way to make even wood dust useful.

I recently picked up a bag of compressed 'coffee ground logs' just to try them out. They're small logs made out of coffee waste and burn quite nicely and for a reasonable time with a lovely faint coffee smell. A bit too pricey to use every day but quite nice to throw onto an open fire. I may try using one (broken up) in my stove.

Cheers,
Broch

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice idea :)

On that note though. We can buy cocoa shell mulch in sacks for the garden. It actually smells of chocolate :) I wonder if those would work or could be made to work ?

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
They should burn well outside in nature, similar to chipped wood or coarse wood shavings.

I used to use them as a fire starter in my wood burners in UK. Less ash then newspapers.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Uniformity in size is key to a consistent burn. Sawdust and shavings really need an active air flow.
As you have no doubt noticed, the cat's opinion is of utmost importance.
I've got to use "cat sand" as second choice are all the large soil pots of new herb seeds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE