NW or N london places for day/overnight camp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Architekton

Dec 17, 2017
London
hi all,
Im looking for recommendations around NW London and north... any spots that you can share?

Id like to be able to camp out for a day without driving far from NW1 where I live.
For walk, but never for a camp, I usually go to Chilterns.. probably Im not confident in spotting a place that I can stay.. not sure. (Ive mainly explored the Wendover area)
For camp and a bit a hillwalking I drive to Brecon but thats not something I can do often sadly. 4+4hours drive.

I searched the forum and read some old post about Watford etc but thats 6-7 years old.

My gear can handle winter but my current low point is 0oC in Brecon with no snow.

Cheers

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hello Architekton,
Welcome to the forum. You pose a slightly difficult question. This forum cannot condone people camping without permission. It sounds like that is what you are asking about, nice quiet spots where you can camp without being found. I lived in Hemel for a number of years, and am fairly familiar with that top end of the Chilterns down as far as Wendover. There aren't any places that you can go, on your own, without having obtained the land owner's permission and not be trespassing. I agree that this does rather suck. There used to be some groups that met up but two of the three that I know of had problems either because the people using the land didn't respect it and left a mess, or because the land owner got jittery about the possibility of people getting injured on his land (wood had a lot of hanging dead branches). As you say, that was years ago.

The recommended approach is much like that used to get shooting permission, and takes a lot of research, time and effort. For anyone taking that approach, they don't want to meet a farmer who has had problems with trespassing bushcraft enthusiasts.

I really hope that someone is able to help you out, but sharing a spot, that may have taken time and effort to cultivate, with strangers on the internet is a big ask.

Reactions: Architekton

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Might help to know what is it that you are looking for exactly? The thing that I have found with people who get interested in bushcraft is that they often want somewhere that they can have a fire, cut wood/trees and make stuff (shelters, camp furniture and the like). Now none of that is particularly "leave no trace" compared to just slinging a tarp or hammock, bedding down for a night and cooking on a stove of some sort.

What version of camping are you looking for?

Architekton

Dec 17, 2017
London
Might help to know what is it that you are looking for exactly? The thing that I have found with people who get interested in bushcraft is that they often want somewhere that they can have a fire, cut wood/trees and make stuff (shelters, camp furniture and the like). Now none of that is particularly "leave no trace" compared to just slinging a tarp or hammock, bedding down for a night and cooking on a stove of some sort.

What version of camping are you looking for?

Very close to the second kind to be honest (or at least.. at the moment). I like staying out with my thoughts and making a nice brew early morning (gas stove at the moment).
I've never built structures while camping (my nickname is based on my actual engineering profession not a point to my forest building activities heheh), I do have the skills though.
I might carve some small piece maybe.

If there is a good/safe place and good company I definitely like the campfire and a bit of carving but its not a prerequisite.
I usually link my overnights with some hillwalking and amateur radio activity (SOTA) or even some nighttime ham contacts.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE