Winter is coming. Is your kit load out changing with the season?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have a swiss army folding candle lantern I found on ebay, takes a variety of candles sizes and I am going to be trying it out this weekend. I will let you know how it gets on. My laptop recently got destroyed so I am on an old one at present so I have lots all my links to it. but if I manage to find it I will post it up

Reactions: Man of Tanith

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I add:
  • Ice breaker thermals
  • Ray Mears Canada Jay sleeping bag
  • Nash Tackle hot water bottle with fleece cover.
  • Bridgedale thermal socks
  • Lowe Alpine mountain cap
  • Rab Inferno jacket
I remove:
  • Thermarest auriga down blanket
  • Thermarest fitted sheet
  • Tilley hat
  • Bridgedale Coolmax Liner Socks
Everything else stays the same:
  • Hilleberg Staika tent
  • Thermarest Neoair Xtherm mat
  • Sea to summit Aeros Premium Pillow
  • Tools and knives
  • Lowa renegade gtx boots
  • Mountain hardware fleece
  • Lowe Alpine Cerro Torre 65:85 Rucksack
  • Trangia 27-2 UL ALU HA cook set
  • Other miscellaneous items

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Noticing the cold nip in the air combined with a new shed for kit storage i have been inspired to shift my kit to the winter weight stuff.
This means....
1 I've swapped one of my water bottles to my stanley thermos. It wont freeze overnight,i'll have a litre of hot water ready in the morning so i can get a brew without having to wait for the kettle.
2 Thicker CCF mat to go under my klymit air matress. Comfier cosier
3 Oilcloth covered wool blanket for wrapping around when sat by fire
4 kupilka kuksa instead of metal mug. Thermally more efficient and less burny mouthy ouchy pain
5 heavier duty sleeping bag used.
6 DD 3x3 tarp in pack poncho removed. Allows a larger set up around the fire
7 heavy duty survival blanket goes in. I can line the dd tarp with it to bounce warmth into my sleep area

There's more but i'm intrigued do others swap kit around? Or just stick to tried and tested year round load out?

• I swap my socks from the summer to the winter weight
  • change my base layers from 120gsm to 165gsm (250gsm when winter really bites).
  • Swap the sleeping bag from the summer to the winter bag
  • Add a couple of 500ml HDPE nalgene bottles to the pack
  • Remove the water filter
  • Add my Páramo Torres jacket to the pack
  • Add thicker gloves and a hat.
I think that's pretty much it. But then I'm also not really going down to really cold stuff. My sleeping bag will max out at about -10°C anyway. The main purpose of the HDPE nalgene bottles is as hot water bottles to keep my feet warm in the sleeping bag.

J

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm putting away the beach towels and swim suits I normally carry EDC in the truck and replacing them with orange vests.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just the kit for the vehicle in case I spin off on black ice and put it over the edge:
2 cheap blankets and a box of candles with matches.
Insulated lunch box that cannot stay in the vehicle anywhere below -5C to -25C overnights.
Candy, water, cheese, knives.

If there's much driving risk and I can't put it off: Pack has best sleeping bag, more candles.

BEARDMASTER

Dec 4, 2017
Estonia
www.nahakamber.ee
The most notable difference are my clothing and sleeping gear.
Other than that I carry my main tools (knife, axe and a saw) and 3 piece cooking kit (pot, pan and a cup) with me all year around.

Choice in food items seems to remain mostly the same with the exception of meat. I tend to eat less meat in hot summer days (needless to say that in summer time uncured meat spoils fast).
Other noticeable difference in food choice comes from the long winter nights. Filling them with cooking experiments gives me something to do.

If I had the means, I would buy a hot tent for winter camping but I find the 3x3 tarp is enough for me in all seasons.
Inside the (3 season) sleeping bag goes my wool blanket and if needed, I wear my thick wool trousers and wool tunic too as a short term solution. In summer time, a wool blanket is often enough but the summer night might sometimes get chilly.
Being said that, I am saving up for a proper winter sleeping system.

I find the summer time to be the most difficult time to be out. If the temp is more than +20C it is too hot for my taste. The bugs and lush grass are another nuisance.
I try to choose a more windy camping spot, smoke them out (does not really work that well) or in rare occasions I use the inner tent of a cheap nylon tent under the tarp.
I have to say, I do not like tents and rather sleep under open skies. While the tarp gives me shelter from the rain, it also gives shelter to the mosquitoes.

Overall, I try to strive towards carrying as little as possible and having the skills to provide myself what is needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lithril

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE