Next Knife Build

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Next knife build from a Izula clone on the go, paint took a lot more getting off on this one than the previous build.

20171215_151116 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

I sanded the handle down to remove the paint so i get a good key for the scales later,

20171215_151701 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

i used paint stripper on the actual blade as i want to retain the grind lines if i can,

20171215_152155 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

20171215_155043 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

in the end i had revert to the Dremmel with a wire brush to get rid of the last of the paint.

20171215_160825 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Next job get the scales cut out drilled for the brass tube pins and get it all glued up

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If I was you, I would test the blade for quality ( edge retention and rusting) before I spend any great amount of work and money 9on materials) on it.

The level of workmanship you did last time warrants a quality blade!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
How's the first one holding up? edge retention good, fair, poor?

Not too bad tbh, used it quite a bit, not overly hard admittedly, opening boxes, bit of wood work not had to sharpen or strop it once since i did the initial sharpening, also throws amazing showers of sparks on a ferro rod

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Wonder why they make them in such weird colours?

To protect against rusting?

It's mostly for marketing I think. You can sell multiple versions of the same knives by giving them 'limited edition' colour schemes and tactical non-reflective coatings. Given that a large number of survival kit type knives are only ever used to pose for photos the appearance is more important than the practical use. The more eye catching photos that get posted to social media the more free press the companies get.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Did a bit more on this today, decided i wanted to try and put a liner in this time and the material i chose to do this was good old kiddies felt, i've used it before and once it's clamped and impregnated with epoxy it works really well.

20171221_143543 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

I cut out the middle bits so the epoxy would grab both Beech scales

20171221_143554 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Block of beech that the scales and sheath came/will come from, has some lovely grain running through it.

20171221_143610 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

I flattened the scales down on the belt sander

20171221_143618 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

which then decided to bite me, ive only skinned the inside of my finger, couple of days and it will be fine and dandy again.

20171221_151913 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

then got it all glued and clamped up

20171221_151936 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

will let it cure overnight and go back out tomorrow and get the handle shaped and sanded, remembering that skin and 80 grit belts don't mix very well. ;););)

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Fingertip peeling on a belt sander?
:)

I use fabric from trousers I bought at the Red Cross shop.
Got some funny looks when I bought a pair of vividly Red girls trousers, but what the hell......
Come now Janne I'm sure those trousers suit you well :p. As for biting belt sander or the car or knives etc I have a thing of smearing the blood on the offending Item, the sacrifice means they will work good or run better! I'm sure of it!

Reactions: Janne and Kepis

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
they got it today
A blood sacrifice is very traditional!!!
The Gods love it!

They got claret today as I tried to sand my finger down on the belt sander, then the sander fell off the bench onto my foot, then onto the shed floor where it proceeded to scoot across the floor like a rabid rc car, was quite funny really.

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE