My Grandfather's Hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sadly a couple years ago the Chief decided he need to catch up with Nan and left us behind....
At the time i laid claim to various items including a lot of his tools.
Whilst chatting with scruff he offered to rehaft one of his hatchets and i recieved it back today
20171215_123723.jpg 20171215_123437.jpg
Grandad never babied his tools but sadly i havent got pics of it before scruff worked his magic but its safe to say its been rejuvenated and i am really looking forward to using it once more hopefully a long time before passing it on to my own grandchildren

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That's great; a job well done. I hate to see good old tools being left to rust.
My first axe that I restored was my Grandfathers. I must warn you, be very careful, spotting old axes in car boot sales, buying them, and restoring them becomes an addiction!! :) . I'm very lucky though, the other half somehow understands and even finds the odd one!
Cheers,
Broch

That's great; a job well done. I hate to see good old tools being left to rust.
My first axe that I restored was my Grandfathers. I must warn you, be very careful, spotting old axes in car boot sales, buying them, and restoring them becomes an addiction!! :) . I'm very lucky though, the other half somehow understands and even finds the odd one!
Cheers,
Broch
I still have quite a few of his tools to restore

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Terry Pratchett wrote a similar story...

“This, milord, is my family's axe. We have owned it for almost nine hundred years, see. Of course, sometimes it needed a new blade. And sometimes it has required a new handle, new designs on the metalwork, a little refreshing of the ornamentation . . . but is this not the nine hundred-year-old axe of my family? And because it has changed gently over time, it is still a pretty good axe, y'know. Pretty good.”

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I chopped the kindling today with the hatchet my wife used to use when she was a little girl. Apparently she was so efficient that her mother used to "volunteer" her to chop kindling for the neighbours. The hatchet, a Spear and Jackson was in a sorry state when I rescued it from my mother in law, but I managed to restore it and have used it regularly for over fifty years.

As to long lasting tools generally, it gives me a buzz to see my sons using tools that used to belong to my grandfather. I hope to see my grandchildren also using them.

My William Rodgers "Bushman's Friend", hunting knife is earmarked for my grandson but he doesn't know this yet. He gained my respect by researching for and buying a Mora Companion with his own money without any help or advice from me. However, he did solicit my support in justifying his purchase to his mother! I hope he passes it on to his own grandson.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE